Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Guild Pilot

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by trainyourhuman, Jun 2, 2001.

1. trainyourhuman

trainyourhuman Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2000
    MI
    I have an opportubity to purchase one of these. Does anyone have experience with one? I have not played any of the DeArmond reissues either. Any information whether it be experience or history or warnings will be appreciated.

2. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Check the Bass Gear review page. I wrote a full review on the Pilot Pro 5. Just feeling too lazy to go there and make a link.

Will

3. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Well...I hate them. Nice bass, solidly built, decent tone for the price, good hardware. But the neck is super tiny! I plated a few, and I swear the nut is like 1" wide! It was painful just to play it. Course, I have largish hands, so my argument might not be relevant. The five's neck was ok, but the 4 felt like I was going to die...in a bad way. That's just me though.

4. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    I bought an electric blue Guild Pilot with EMG's back in '89. I liked the narrow neck and lightweight body but the thing was kind of lacking in the tone department. I had a friend who owned a heavier black one with passive DiMarzio pickups and it had a much deeper, warmer sound. I'd recommend trying before you buy to make sure you get a good one but I bet you can find them for as cheap as the DeArmonds.