1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Guild Starfire II 2016

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by zradguy, Feb 6, 2016.

1. zradguy

zradguy

May 2, 2011
    Boulder, CO
    Does anyone know what's taking Guild so long to get more Starfire II basses in the market? I've had one on back order now for two months. I'm beginning to wonder if I ought to cancel my order and wait until they're being produced in the US.

Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

2. Craig Fones

Craig Fones

Feb 25, 2016
    Apparently, they've hit the stores now. I was browsing at the local Sam Ash store yesterday and the salesman came up to me to show me a brand new bass he just got in and took out of the box. He said it was only the second one in the entire SA inventory. It was a Guild Starfire II with the natural mahogany finish. I'm not familiar with Guild guitars at all but I did take the opportunity to check this one out and I after a close visual examine and a few minutes playing around with it I was impressed.

The build quality was excellent and it is beautifully finished. I played it a little and really liked how it was setup and how the fretboard played. Just perfect for me with the action about as low as you could go without being too low. I found it easy to play but that was probably had a lot to do with the having a very good setup out of the box and it being a short scale bass (30 3/4").

The salesman said he considered it a "studio bass" which I'm sure exactly what that means but it's definitely a bass that you want to be careful with compared to a solid body bass. Also, it's probably not the kind of bass you want to pop and slap but it does have a nice acoustic tone. Anyway, I would seriously consider this buying bass but at $1,300 I'll have to take a closer look and actually plug it in next time.

3. zradguy

zradguy

May 2, 2011
    Boulder, CO
    I finally got the one I had on back order. After changing out all the wiring, putting in two coil tapped Darkstar/Bisonics, having the saddles flipped around the right way, and a good setup from our local lutherie, this is one amazing bass :) granted, I put a ton of money into making it that way, but I thought the stock pickups weren't all that bad. The only thing that I've experienced twice with this model and read of others having the same issue, is that the factory seems to have put all the saddles on backwards over the bridge which causes intonation problems. Flipping the saddles around the other way seemed to remedy that though.

I agree Craig, that at $1300 this bass is worth it. Also the case that comes with it is bomber, so I'm not too concerned about gigging with it.

Bassman8416 and rllefebv like this.
  4. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    @zradguy - Wanna sell your guild pickups?

-robert

5. zradguy

zradguy

May 2, 2011
    Boulder, CO
    Sure!