1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Guild Starfire II Neck Dive!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Krikcet, Sep 22, 2016.

1. Krikcet

Krikcet

Jun 1, 2016
    Auburn, NY
    Hi guys! I've pretty recently acquired a Guild Starfire II, and I absolutely love it. The only complaint I have is the neck dive. I'm forced to hold the body with my right arm, and this causes my wrist to bend in a pretty unhealthy way. Does anyone have any suggestions? I use a Comfort-Strapp, which grips to my shirt pretty nicely, but I think the best solution would be to add some weight to the body end. I just don't really know the best method. Please help!

2. tomiv9

tomiv9

Mar 22, 2016
    I just ordered one of these basses too. I hear a big heavy strap is a must for hollow bodies, but this is my first, so curious what others recommend. Glad to hear you like it other then the dive. Curious what kind of strings are you using?

3. Krikcet

Krikcet

Jun 1, 2016
    Auburn, NY
    I'm still using the D'addario EXL165s that came with it from Sweetwater. I'm actually pretty tempted to try some flatwounds with it, but I'm a bit nervous, so I might just try to deaden these ones out a bit more. (Deaden?)

4. MrRubi04

MrRubi04 Supporting Member

Dec 30, 2011
    Brewster, NY
    There is a thread addressing this issue but regarding a Jack Casady Signature, which is almost (in shape) to your Starfire, so the remedy should be the same. One suggestion is to relocate the strap button to the upper horn, which I personally, don't care for; the other is to replace the tuners with ultralights to lessen the weight on the headstock. The strap is a given on these style basses. Beyond that, there isn't much else you can do. Adding weight to the body will just make it heavier, not cure the dive. Think of the neck as a lever, the fulcrum being where the strap button is. You need to get the fulcrum (button) up by the 12th fret. Look at most Fender style basses - the upper horn does that.