1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Guild Starfire loose headplate; advice sought

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by EdwardofHuncote, Apr 19, 2019.

1. EdwardofHuncote

EdwardofHuncote I Still Dream of Jeannie Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2013
    Southwest Virginia
    '67 Guild Starfire II .jpeg

I'm not surprised to see this apparently happens to these... I'm wondering if one of the fellas here can share - what's the recommended fix for a wrinkled-up headplate on a late-60's Guild Starfire? The plastic isn't broken anywhere, (at least not yet) and it feels pliable enough at the loose edges to clamp down with a flat caul. As you can see, it's shrinking, and rolling up, especially around the D and A machines. Sadness, just looking for a snag to happen.

Guild1.jpeg
    Guild2.jpeg
    Guild3.jpeg

This cool old bass also has a couple of the usual binding issues... (fairly minor) but I've got to address them before they get worse. Any particular glue to use, or avoid using?

Binding1.jpeg

Binding2.jpeg

Thanks in advance!

~Ed of H.

tbrannon, Haroldo and SLivinghouse like this.
  2. No advice here. Just happy to see that cool old bass being taken care of.

Haroldo likes this.
  3. EdwardofHuncote

EdwardofHuncote I Still Dream of Jeannie Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2013
    Southwest Virginia
    Just bumping the thread... it hasn't changed. I've been gigging this old thing around some the past few weeks, and really enjoying it. Sure would like to get that headstock straightened up. I feel pretty confident about clamping it between two flat cauls being more than enough to flatten it out. I'm more concerned about what adhesive to use or avoid on this plastic.

4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 27, 2021