1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Guild Starfire reissue or Fender Coronado

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by plasson, Nov 3, 2010.

1. plasson

plasson

Mar 21, 2005
    hey guys,

I've decided to pull the trigger on a hollowbody.
    there's this guy who's selling a Guild Starfire II (early 90s) and a Fender Coronado (mid 60s).
    he's not sure about the dates and prices and told me to make an offer.
    what do you think they're worth?
    which one would you choose?
    sonic differences?
    unfortunately I don't have the chance to try them, it's the first time I buy a bass without trying first.
    I'm counting on the fact that might be resold kind of easily.

do you know where to find a little history on the two and their reissues?
    couldn't find a lot on google.

2. pjmuck

pjmuck

Feb 8, 2006
    New Joisey
    I'd rather have the Coronado. Rarer and vintage. The RI Starfires were considered a bit of a let down when they came out comparatively to the originals, primaruily because they didn't have the same respectable Hagstrom PUPs. Coronado's a cool vintage instrument with a nice woody hollowbody tone.

3. johnboy65

johnboy65

May 22, 2009
    The thing about the Coronado is that it wasn't a particuliarly well made bass. They were (the 4 that I have played) kind of crappy as far as fit and finish. That being said they are also super cool and have a nice voice, and two of the four I've played; I liked so much that I bought them. So if you are looking for a cool mojo bass the Coronado's the way I'd go. Just don't expect it to play like a Fodera.

4. +1 on the Coronado.

5. plasson

plasson

Mar 21, 2005
    interesting, I thought Starfire was considered the epitome of hollowbodily :D
    I'm looking exactly for that: a mojo bass, possibly the farthest thing from a Fodera.
    which one do you guys think has more low end?
    the thing about the Starfire is that I could have eventually switched pickups with Dark Stars (which I LOVE) cause they fit the hole and no extra drill was necessary.
    what do you think of the Coronado pickups?

oh, and do you know the approx value for these two guys?

6. corinpills

corinpills

Nov 19, 2000
    Boston, MA
    As a longtime Guild Starfire player t, I can tell you that the reissues are great instruments hand-built in Guild's Westerly, RI shop by skilled builders. At the time, the enthusiasm for the old Hagstrom pickups was marginal because they were simply unavailable and plenty of Starfires from the late 60's on had the other humbucker pickup design. The relatively recent production of Darkstar pickups kicked off a big resurgence of interest in the old pickups.

I'm fairly certain that if you play both basses, the major leap in quality from the Coronado to the Starfire should be obvious.

7. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    Starfire RI w/ Darkstars!

8. plasson

plasson

Mar 21, 2005
    you guys are killing me!
    aaaahhh, can't decide!
    I'm seriously considering taking them both and reselling one of them.
    any idea on their value?

P.S. found out the Coronado is a '67.

9. GlennW

GlennW

Sep 6, 2006
    I think the Coronado will have appreciation/resale value because it's a Fender. I doubt if the DeArmond/Guild will; if it was a USA Guild SF that would be another matter. The Fender has DeArmond single coils, btw.

10. plasson

plasson

Mar 21, 2005
    yes, it's a USA Guild (early 90s, so pre-Fender I guess?).

11. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    I dunno... I think Fender bought Guild in the late '80s... I'm sure someone here knows for sure

12. mellowgerman

mellowgerman Supporting Member

Jan 23, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    Guild. Hands down. Then buy a set of Dark Star pickups and put them in.
    You'll kick yourself if you buy the coronado and later play a starfire...

13. voting starfire with dark stars.

14. fender for value

15. mellowgerman

Jan 23, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    As far as the question of actual monetary value, TB discourages the sharing of that kind of info as long as somebody is not a supporting member. A good way to get an idea for it though is by checking out completed auctions on ebay.

16. plasson

plasson

Mar 21, 2005
    sorry, I didn't know about this TB policy.
    I've looked for several auctions and ads, but couldn't really figure out (especially for the Guild).
    I believe the Coronado II should be around 1600$ though, but I'm not sure.

mellowgerman, are you suggesting the Guild because of quality or cause of what we were calling "mojo"?

17. GM60466

GM60466

May 20, 2006
    Land of Lakland
    Starfire here

18. JimB52

JimB52 User Supporting Member

May 24, 2007
    East Coast
    Not a Coronado fan. Boomy, tended to feedback. Worst neck diver I ever played.
    Probably over priced because it's a vintage Fender. Just because it's old doesn't mean it's good.

EDIT - second worst neck-diver. I forgot about the Gibson EB-2.

19. plasson

plasson

Mar 21, 2005
    worse than the Thunderbird? :D

anyway, the seller says it's refinished, that should take a lot of price off (I think around 30%).
    I'm seriously considering taking em both and then resell the one I don't want.

anyway, thanks everybody for your contribution!
    if you feel like adding something more I'd be glad to read your thoughts on these to basses (and on jam recipes if you want).

20. mellowgerman

Jan 23, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    I'm suggesting the Guild because of quality, amazingness, awesomeness, mojo, Jack Casady, and experience. I've owned a 1966 starfire, a Dearmond RI starfire, and played many others; most recently a 90's Guild RI. The 90's wasn't quite as ridiculously amazing -- but then they only go for about half of what a vintage Starfire II would; maybe more in the neighborhood of what a 60's SFB-I would ;)
    I also played a vintage Fender coronado a few years ago in NYC... didn't come close to a starfire. The pickups sounded dull to my ears and the construction was not very good. Felt like a toy compared to any starfire I've even played (including the korean made Dearmond that I used to own).
    Anyway, if you get the starfire and put Dark Stars in it, you will be happy, I'm confident.