Guild Starfire - What strings are you using?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by rllefebv, Nov 27, 2015.

1. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    Hey all,

I have a Starfire on the way, and am wondering what y'all are using for strings? I'm leaning towards flats, and am familiar with Chromes, but trying to get a feel for what folks who have the bass are using...

Also, I know it's a short-scale, but the tail length from the anchor to the bridge piece looks a little long... Are you using shorts or mediums?

-robert

2. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Inactive Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    The Brains: FretNation.com
    You require MEDIUM SCALE strings on Starfires.

I have used D'Addario Chromes, La Bella Tapewounds, and Thomastik-Infeld Jazz Flats on my Starfire. I prefer the Chromes.

Just be sure to order Medium Scale strings for it!

3. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    Funnily enough, I just did exactly that from BassStringsOnline :)

-robert

4. low heat

low heat

Nov 25, 2015
    My Sweetwater rep who sold me my Starfire told me to use regular short-scale. Haven't restrung it yet, so I haven't tried either size stain. Hmm...

5. Mustang Surly

Mustang Surly

Jul 10, 2013
    I re-strung my Newark SF-I with medium-scale, D'Addario Chromes ECB81M (.045-.100) and like them just fine. They have more tension than some other string sets, which helps keep the E string from being too floppy on account of the shorter scale length, IMHO. Hated the round wounds that came on it: pulled them off after about a 10 minute try out. These basses were made to wear flats.

Axstar likes this.
  6. low heat

low heat

Nov 25, 2015
    Right now, it has he strings that came with it. Round wound. I was thinking about trying flats, but I may go with one of those in-between products that claims to have more brightness than flats but smoother (audibly and to the touch) than steel rounds. Thanks for asking.

7. One Drop

One Drop

Oct 10, 2004
    Swiss Alps
    TIs on my '66 Starfire, sounds great if slightly lacking in deep lows.

I haven't tried anything else on it, but am curious as to how LaBella flats would sound.

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 12, 2021