Guild Thunderbass trade, should I?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by rufus.K, Nov 23, 2016.

1. Yes

26 vote(s)
    55.3%
  2. No

21 vote(s)
    44.7%
  1. rufus.K

rufus.K

Oct 18, 2015
    SoCal
    I have the opportunity to trade my Eden WT500 for a 60''s Guild Thunderbass. even swap.
    Nothing is wrong with my Eden, I just don't use it. the Thunderbass is in shabby visual condition but works well.
    Who would, who wouldnt... why or why not

2. Oren Hudson

Oren Hudson

Dec 25, 2007
    Gastonia, NC
    How many Eden WT500's do you see around vs. how many Guild Thunderbasses? Just IMO.

seang15 likes this.
  3. rufus.K

rufus.K

Oct 18, 2015
    SoCal
    Right, very few of the Guilds .

4. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    you know you want to...

is it a lefty?

ficelles likes this.
  5. rufus.K

rufus.K

Oct 18, 2015
    SoCal
    i do want to. I just may... would like to gather opinions overnight whilst i sleep on it.
    Since the handle is missing, I cant tell if its lefty or not.

6. rufus.K

rufus.K

Oct 18, 2015
    SoCal
    8417 Output tubes... not exactly on the shelf everywhere.

7. rufus.K

rufus.K

Oct 18, 2015
    SoCal
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    00Q0Q_65RdVYv7oFp_1200x900.jpg

[​IMG]

freedomryder likes this.
  8. Cirk

Cirk

Jan 16, 2011
    Panama City, Florida
    Rufus is right about the tubes, though there is probably a mod out there to change them to something more common. What about the condition of the power caps? When were those last replaced? When was the last time it was seen by a tech?

9. blubass

blubass

Aug 3, 2007
    Modesto Ca
    Current: Blackstar, DR strings, Nady. Previous endorsements with: GK, Rotosound, Ernie Ball, Cleartone, EMG, Dean, Dava Picks, Rebel Straps, Dickies
    There was one of those in the local music shop for roughly 6 months to a year. Think it sold for around $450-500. Reminded me of running a bass through a tube guitar amp.

10. rufus.K

rufus.K

Oct 18, 2015
    SoCal
    tbassad.jpg

this could be me!

11. rufus.K

rufus.K

Oct 18, 2015
    SoCal
    Ive read where people have modded them to 6L6, 6550, and kt88. ... i would likely keep them 8417.
    I will for sure go through it, and have someone else go through it in respect to bias, caps, and other measurements/inspections.

12. rufus.K

rufus.K

Oct 18, 2015
    SoCal
    so you weren't impressed by the tone? What were you using for speakers?

13. blubass

blubass

Aug 3, 2007
    Modesto Ca
    Current: Blackstar, DR strings, Nady. Previous endorsements with: GK, Rotosound, Ernie Ball, Cleartone, EMG, Dean, Dava Picks, Rebel Straps, Dickies
    It looked like the ad you posted, but the matching cab was tall and narrow. I wouldn't say I disliked it, I just wasn't wowed by it. If you have other bass amps and don't expect to use the Eden, it's probably a good trade.

14. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Columbia, MD Gold Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    I wouldn't unless you collect old, obscure amps.

rmayer, aproud1 and Munjibunga like this.
  15. slap2much

slap2much

Apr 4, 2004
    Chicago
    Yes to this. I have a Guild Thunder 1 Reverb guitar amp, it's very cool. I have gotten some great recorded tones from it but a pain to schlep to gigs and not reliable enough to go without a backup...also helps to have a multimeter & soldering iron on hand always (and knowledge of what things in back can kill you if you touch them).

But, nothing else I have (or anyone else that I know) can make THIS sound, so worth it to me. Worth it to you too, if that's where you're at.

16. rufus.K

rufus.K

Oct 18, 2015
    SoCal
    I have more solid state amps than I'll ever use. I would like a low wattage tubester around the house.

seang15, Cirk and slap2much like this.
  17. bassfran

bassfran Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2012
    Chicago
    Endorsing artist: Lakland basses
    I used to be way into funky, old stuff like this and collected my share of groovy tube amps for a time. Had a few real conversation pieces and they would occasionally come in handy in the studio. But they often needed service work and that tends to get spendy. Several moves later with said collection I realized I was just being nostalgic for the old days.

Nowadays, if I can't use it on a gig I don't need it. I vote 'no'.

18. deathness

deathness

Jan 19, 2015
    BKLYN
    If you dont expect to what it cannot and you like what it can-on, go for it. Guild made quality kit in that day and age. Bet it can sound beastly in the right context. Bet the eden (as good as it is) cant do what the guild does.

19. In my opinion the Eden is worth around $400-500, around here they go for $500, and the Guild I would put at only $300-400 because of the rather poor condition. There's a much cleaner one in my neighborhood now on CL for $350. When I bought mine the vintage market had yet to take a dive over ten yrs ago. And I paid $450. I knew that was high at the time but I had been looking for awhile and I didn't want to buy sight unseen, unplayed or online. I got a good one which has only recently needed service. If this one isn't serviced I'd say your crazy to trade. Actually the one I wanted is the one in the ad with the aluminum handle and horizontal cab. I'd still like to find a nice one of those. It brings back some great memories. Those cream Tolex ones are more early 60's I believe and the black Tolex one like you're looking at is later 60's IIRC. That one might clean up its hard to tell but the one thing it has going for it is it has the original knobs which many do not. Short answer no.

20. It depends on what your purpose for owning an amp is. If you are attempting to efficiently reproduce the sound of an electric bass, don't trade. Judging by the ad, a mighty 90 watts of peak power is kind of scary. In the 1890's people were afraid of automobiles going faster than 60 mph (a.k.a. "a mile a minute") because the human body wouldn't be able to handle such stress. But 90 watts? PEAK power? Terrifying. If you like novelty and get inspired by having "Thunderbass" in bold lettering on your gear, deal. Maybe there's a third reason to trade. Let's say you are about to supply the backline for a gig featuring old bandmates that boned you...

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Dec 7, 2021