Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Guillen-Krueger???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Madball, Apr 19, 2001.

1. Hey I'm thinking about getting a GK 400, I was wondering if someone has one and how they dig it?? I was either going to go with one of those or an Ampeg SVT-Pro. Let me know...what you guys and gals think??

Thanks.

2. I used a GK-400 for several years with a pair of JBL 15's and was very happy. With GK, you get a very good sounding, very portable and very affordable amp, which at 200 watts/4 ohms, will cover most small to medium sized gigs. GK's don't have that "hi-fi" sound like an SWR, but they are real "thumpy" and cut well through a mix.

3. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I have a GK practice amp, which I really like!;) I remember when GK was selling the 400's like they were going out of style...I tried them out several times and found they consistently deliver the "GK sound", which is, to me, modern and electric sounding. Have you tried one out? Do you like the sound with your bass?

GK is definitely a good choice for an amp, if you like the sound...they're pretty well made and pack a lot of stuff into a small little box.

4. penstock

penstock

Aug 10, 2000
    I have a GK 400 and I love it. I bought it used so it is a little old, I think 5-6 years, but it works great. I run it through a GK 6x10 cab and I love the tone I get. I would recommend it.

5. i use a GK-800 that i picked up off of ebay. It is beat to hell but still delivers a good tone. Definetly check out the 400

6. Scott Cutrer

Scott Cutrer Guest

Aug 21, 2000
    Richmond, VA
    Cant go wrong with a GK man. I have used em for over 10 years and am still sold on em.

7. I've just traded my SWR SM400S for a used once GK800RB, and I'm a happy camper. I was always struggling to get a warm sound out of my SWR, had to eq it to hell. With the GK, I can get a good sound just with the controls set flat and the mid cut button in. Thru my SWR 2x10 and 1x15 it's really sweet.