Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Guilty

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassfacekevin, Jan 11, 2006.

1. Hey, maybe it's me, but does anyone else feel a little guilty drooliung over great gear, when their chops dont quite match up? Right now, I'm playing a Fender Zone 4 string bass, and I'm hopefully going to acquire a Warwick Thumb 5 soon, but I sorta feel bad about it. I've only been playing about 2 years, and just yesterday, it took me over an hour to figure out how to play "Jerry was a racecar driver." (adapted for 4 strings, fretted) I mean, honestly, I'm not good enough for a 5 string thumb bass, but I can't help myself. Am I just weird, or is this something everyone deals with?

2. i'd say an hour for JWARD is not bad going at all. if you want it and you can afford it, i say go for it. i think i might go buy a spector 6 string this week, and my chops definitely don't justify it :D on the upside, hopefully it will make me want ot practice more....thats my excuse and i'm sticking to it;)

3. IotaNet

IotaNet Supporting Member

Kevin -

I feel you but don't sweat it. Obviously, playing bass is the most important thing but you have to realize that GASing, drooling, buying, selling, and Talking(bass) is all a part of the experience.

Us guys like our toys and all the other stuff besides actually playing the bass is what we do. Ultimately, it's about what makes you feel better. Drool if you want to, shed if you need to, but most of all ENJOY the whole package.

It's all good!

4. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    There's no shame in drooling over the nice stuff. Bass playing isn't a comparative event. It doesn't matter if your playing matches your gear one way or the other. What matters is that you enjoy your time with what you've got, be it an inexpensive budget instrument or something that costs several paychecks.

5. Geezerman

Geezerman

Nov 28, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    If you can buy your own gear, no need to feel guilty. I have moderately ( and even THAT is a stretch) okay stuff, and I always think of that next bass, It took me along time to even buy my SX because I thought I was "worthy" but i realize, new gear is just nice to be able to have. If you have some money and need/want new gear, buy it, you'll love yourself for it :smug:

6. +1.

Just enjoy what you have! :hyper:

7. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

Guilty?

Nope. I suck, and I've got some really good basses.

Having instruments I really enjoy encourages me to pick them up and play them more often. Hopefully, in the long run, I will no longer suck as a result of increased practice. By then, I'll probably have a dozen basses. :)

8. As long as you keep your ego in check, and don't exagerate about your chops, its all good.

9. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    If only great musicians bought fine instruments, then all the big companies would be bankrupt and all the great makers would be on welfare.:eek:

For some purchases, you really need the attributes or it will look goofy, i.e. a fat girl with a midriff bearing top or me in a Speedo. Fortunately, when it comes to instruments, we can all enjoy an instruments at our own level of ability. Love yourself and enjoy your stuff!

10. steve21

steve21 Banned

I'm not great, not even good IMO, but it's what I love and if I have the money... why not?

11. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    They never gave me a test for anything I've got, and I have some really nice stuff. My attitude is I earned it so:spit:

12. Razman

Razman

Feb 10, 2005
    Orange Park, FL
    I heard a quote once: "when you buy the best, you'll always be satisfied with it." I'm not trying to start a rant thread about expensive stuff people have bought and found out it was crud, but my last bass - a Dingwall Voodoo - was definitely a prime example of this, and way, way beyond my skill level. However, I never got tired of picking it up ever, and an instrument of that caliber will never be a detriment or hinderance to your growth--it actually helped expose a lot of my sloppiness!

Go for it.

Eric

13. What's so bad about taking an hour to learn jerry was a race car driver?

14. basste

basste

Oct 8, 2003
    France
    guilty ? why ? Must we be pilote to buy some nice sport cars ? (well sometimes it would be better :))
    I think that you have another chance to improve your chops thanks to the confort you will have with a better neck or so...
    Don't be guilty, be happy :hyper:

15. froovs

froovs

Mar 17, 2005
    scotland
    whats so bad about taking 3 hours to learn anything *properly*

ponders
    Lucy

16. Sippy

Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    Stuart,Florida
    you should never feel guilty... It's what you like. Some people love Laklands, Warwicks etc others love Fender MIM's,SX etc.
    Right now my favorite is my SX. It just really feels right to me. And I'm lucky that a bargain bass catches my eye like this, so I'm not spending a lot of dough on a bass. Other players love the feel and tone of a Lakland.. It's all about taste.
    Also just to kinda backup what everybody is saying. I've found (in local gigs) The guys with the really expensive gear and big powerful rigs and all this nonsense can't play themselves out of a paperbag. But a guy with a regular beat up fender with alot of mojo to it, can't tear it up. So there is no rule you have to be Jaco to buy an Alembic!

17. AGCurry

AGCurry

Jun 29, 2005
    Kansas City
    Guilty? No.

Because, 30 years ago I was making a living playing a $100 bass through a little Standel amp. In high school, my first electric guitar was homemade.

Now that I can afford it, I treat myself to the stuff I yearned for then.

18. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I feel that I'll grow into really good gear. Someday.

19. Eilif

Eilif Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    On the one hand I do tend to laugh inside when I see inexperienced musicians bumbling with high quality instruments. I find it a bit incongruous.

However,

As a former instrument salesman, I can tell you that the progress and security of the entire guitar industry, both of large comercial companies and small private builders, is dependent upon people buying lots of instruments that are "above thier level" and upon people buying many more instruments than they need (and on the sale of lots of cheapo beginner instrumetns) It is this kind of crass (and wonderfull) consumerism that keeps the income of instrument companies high enough to invest in building more, better, and less expensive instruments for us to play, desire and purchase.

So "buy on" undeserving bassists, don't ever let your chops get in the way of purchasing a bass that makes you feel incompetent. You will get better, and even if you don't, we are all counting on you!

:smug: ;) :D

20. Stox

Stox

Mar 18, 2005
    London UK
    If you can afford it BUY THE FRIKKIN' THING