Guit*r Amp Help

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Kraken, Apr 11, 2002.

1. Kraken

Jun 19, 2001
    Aylesbury, England
    Help! I need to get hold of a guit*r Amp, not a difficult thing to do I hear you say, well, I have two criteria, and you guys seem best placed to help

1 It must cost less than £100 BPS

2 It must be footswitchable between Clean and Dirty Channels

Fender and Marshall haven't been able to help me with this so you guys are my last chance I think

There are a couple coming up on Ebay but shipping Amps costs a small fortune

I'm not fussy about what make it is as long as I can get it easily in the UK

I did search this forum but couldn't find anything

Note to Mods,

If this belongs elsewhere (like off topic or Misc.) as it isn't Bass related Please move it and I am sorry.

2. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    im not sure how much that is in american so youll have to bare with me. I have a marshall valvastate 30 watter that freakin rules. I play it more than my tube amps around the house. It gets a good tone at low volumes, is durable as heck, and looks cool. Its plenty loud for most situations. I couldnt find the exact one in musicians friend but i found the 30 watt MG for 250 american. try lookin on ebay for the valvestate version, u wont be dissapointed.
  3. Paul A

Paul A

Dec 13, 1999
    Hertfordshire U.K!
    Look for a Laney lc15 (all valve).
    For the money they are great.
    You should be able to pick one up for between 100 and 150 pounds secondhand.
  4. Paul A

Paul A

Dec 13, 1999
    Hertfordshire U.K!
  5. CS

Dec 11, 1999
    Whilst I agree with Paul on the LC15 as the 'best' choice and I have seen them on (goto music and search) for as little as £70 it is not a twin channel amp.

It is a killer little amp that has an extension speaker socket (4x12 anyone?) and the overdrive sounds are excellent. I tried one with a Strat and could not get it to clean up (to my subjective taste).

The Laney's have two problems 1 cheap oe velves and 2 HH speakers. I know two people who have changed these items on a LC30 and a VC50 and in both cases the improvement was stunning. Stock Laney's are good but a VC50 with new valves and two Celestion Centuries is a killer amp (but a bit more than a hundred quid)

Hope this helps
  6. Paul A

Paul A

Dec 13, 1999
    Hertfordshire U.K!
    Agreed Chris, Shouldn't cost more than 'bout 25 quid to put halfway (JJ?) decent valves in!
  7. Ironically dude I'm going to pick up a guitar amp for the guitarist in my band tonight. I live closer to the seller than our guitarist you see.

The amp - Marshall Valvestate VS100 (A second generation Valvestate, I have the first generation 8080 - and it is more amp than I'll ever need for guit*r)

I've tried it, it all works it has a few scrapes on it, sounds good - the footswitch only changes between clean and one of the dirty channels and it's missing one of it's rubber feet.

Cost £100!!!!

My advice is keep looking!!! Ebay have a few that are dearer, but check out other places ,we found this one on

It's predominantly a Scottish site but lots of folk advertise on it! If you go in you need to go into the 'Gigguide Cafe' for the classifieds!:)
  8. CS

Dec 11, 1999

OFF topic I put a sh Mullard ECC83 in my mates Laney LC30 clean channel (theres one on Loot for £250 BTW) and you would not believe the difference.
  9. Kraken

Jun 19, 2001
    Aylesbury, England
    Cheers for all your help,

Just in case your curious,

I've narrowed it down to buying new which will involve spending an extra £50 (or thereabouts) But It's come down to:

Marshall MG30DFX

Fender Frontman 25R

The Marshall is definately slightly ahead on this but costs a little more.

These are of course dependant upon what becomes available on EBay?

Stay Funky People

and I said they couldn't help? LOL!!