guitar 4x12?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Albini_Fan, Nov 23, 2003.

1. Albini_Fan

Albini_Fan Banned

Jan 26, 2003
    Beneath Below
    would this sound like muck? i want to upgrade, im looking for alot of mids and distortion. this sounds like the best route, but would i have trouble with lows? i could like, get a 1x15 to send the lows to. but I might have trouble powering it, because I'm going to have to get a low powered head to not explode the 4x12, right?

lots of lows arn't really that essential to my style, anyways.
  2. Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Playing bass through guitar speakers is usually not a good idea. Guitar speakers don't like low frequencies.

Generally the only time a bassist could use guitar speakers safely is in a bi-amped setup, with the mids/highs going to the guitar speakers and the lows to either bass speakers or subwoofers.
  3. Low powered head isn't going to be a huge issue, most 4x12s can handle 300 watts... those speakers are going to hate you though as they're not designed for bass.

Why don't you just get a tube rig designed for bass, that'll give you all the distortion you'll need. You can always EQ to taste after that.
  4. Albini_Fan

Albini_Fan Banned

Jan 26, 2003
    Beneath Below
    i couldnt just get an amp with a crossover and a 1x15?
  5. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    That's also a good idea. Make sure you set the crossover relatively high (above 150 I would say), to keep that 4x12 happy.
  6. Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    I think you would need either a stereo power amp or two separate power amps to do that...
  7. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    getting warmer
    A guitar is tuned one octave higher than a bass, meaning the fundamental of the guitar's low E is ~80hz.

Depending on the slope of the crossover, shouldn't one be able to set it at around 100hz?
  8. redneck2wild

Nov 27, 2002
    Memphis, TN
    It depends on the frequency response of the cabinet and the slope of the crossover point.
    I think Marshall 4x12 cabs have a "hump" around 100hz-120hz. If you want to avoid the "hump" you may want to crossover higher than that point.

I have seen a speaker cone pop right out of guitar cabinet when a Bass was playing through it.
    It was running full range though.
    Most guitar speakers are designed to distort so if a clean tone is desired, it may be a problem.
    Most guitar cabs are sealed - lows tend to suffer with sealed cabs.
    Most guitar cabs are not very deep either - again lows tend to suffer when using a small enclosure.