1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

guitar amp -> bass cab, or just a bass combo?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by LaXu, Apr 7, 2009.

1. LaXu

LaXu

Feb 2, 2005
    Finland
    I'm a guitarist who likes to dabble with bass from time to time. However, I haven't got a proper bass amp. So far I've just used my 100W Egnater and 50W Diezel tube amps through guitar speakers for bass, just at low volume because to me bass is just something I mess with at home. I feel the guitar speakers don't quite reproduce the lows.

Would I get better tone if I hooked one of the tube amps into a bass cab? Would this be better for getting nice tones at home compared to just buying something like the Roland Cube 100 combo? I imagine a decent 2x10 cab would cost about the same (around 400€ in Finland).

2. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    A small bass combo amp will provide much better bass tones. You seem to only need a "practice" sized bass amp, just make sure and play through it before you buy it. Each different bass amp has it's own voice. You may not like them all.

3. I was running my guitar amps through a 15 inch bass cab. It sounded darn good. My mesa boogie (subway rocket) sounded really unique, woody and transparent but was very warm and could overdrive awesomely. Very nice. But it ran out of gas too soon. My blues deluxe was louder but more traditional.

If you are not going to gig it just get a nice deep bass cab and see how it goes, get a head later if you feel its necessary.

4. LaXu

LaXu

Feb 2, 2005
    Finland
    I've tried the 30W Cube and thought it sounded rather nice. Hoping the 100W will be like that but better.

5. LaXu

LaXu

Feb 2, 2005
    Finland
    Bumping this up in hope of more thoughts on the matter.

6. adam precision

adam precision

Mar 26, 2008
    Ireland
    Just buy a bass cab for your tube guitar heads, its the cheapest thing to do. It'll sound good. You'll be able to gig with it too. The tone stack on the amps will be suited to guitar not bass. You could use a bass pedal with eq, if necessary.