Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Guitar Amp + Bass Cabs or Bass Combo?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Arch Giddle, Jun 15, 2002.

1. Okay, there's been a lot of this around recently, but after many searches I'm still curious.

Here's the situation:
    I need a good solid amp, but am on relatively limited funds. I have a choice of buying a medium price bass combo (ie a 1x15 200-300 watts) or something a little more unorthodox:

Yes, I refer to the dreaded guitar amp + bass cabs setup. I know a lot people think this sounds appalling, but I kind of like playing through valve guitar amps. Besides, Entwistle got away with it for ages!

The problem is that all-valve bass amps generally start at about £1000 (thats about $1500 folks). However , you can get a 100 watt all-valve guitar amp over here in Britain for £400.
    I can even get a proper bass cab to go with it (I know guitar speakers pop out of the front of the cab as soon as soon as you plug a bass into them!).

The thing is, 100 watts of all-valve power is fine for guitar, but would it cut it as a bass amp, due to the fact that basses just sound quieter and so usually need a bigger amp?

Bear in mind that this setup is competing with a 200 watt bass combo, which is hardly electrifying itself.

Which do you reckon would be louder?

200 watt Solid State Bass Combo
    100 watt All-Valve Guitar Amp + Bass Cab

("Tone" is not such an issue in this case)

2. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    hey.
    i have my stuff for sale!
    $250
    what i just saw that you are in england
    sorry..

steve