1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Guitar Amp + Bass Cabs or Bass Combo?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Arch Giddle, Jun 15, 2002.

1. Okay, there's been a lot of this around recently, but after many searches I'm still curious.

Here's the situation:
    I need a good solid amp, but am on relatively limited funds. I have a choice of buying a medium price bass combo (ie a 1x15 200-300 watts) or something a little more unorthodox:

Yes, I refer to the dreaded guitar amp + bass cabs setup. I know a lot people think this sounds appalling, but I kind of like playing through valve guitar amps. Besides, Entwistle got away with it for ages!

The problem is that all-valve bass amps generally start at about £1000 (thats about $1500 folks). However , you can get a 100 watt all-valve guitar amp over here in Britain for £400.
    I can even get a proper bass cab to go with it (I know guitar speakers pop out of the front of the cab as soon as soon as you plug a bass into them!).

The thing is, 100 watts of all-valve power is fine for guitar, but would it cut it as a bass amp, due to the fact that basses just sound quieter and so usually need a bigger amp?

Bear in mind that this setup is competing with a 200 watt bass combo, which is hardly electrifying itself.

Which do you reckon would be louder?

200 watt Solid State Bass Combo
    100 watt All-Valve Guitar Amp + Bass Cab

("Tone" is not such an issue in this case)

2. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    hey.
    i have my stuff for sale!
    $250
    what i just saw that you are in england
    sorry..

steve