Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Guitar amp BASS speakers

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by fenderaholic, Aug 26, 2005.

1. fenderaholic

fenderaholic

May 25, 2005
    Burbank ca
    hello

i was wondering if i got a tube guitar head and hooked it up to a bass amps cabinet if it would work. or if i got a guitar combo and installed a bass speaker.

thanks eric

2. Do a search, i asked the exact same question about a week ago :p but in short NO! guitar speaker is the only no no.

3. It would work fine. The only bad thing is the EQ on the guitar head is going to be geared in the guitar frequencies, not bass...but that may appeal to you

4. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Hey Eric,

Yeah, both ideas will work. Some guitar amps can produce bass notes pretty well. They won't get them all though, which is why someone decided to invent the bass amp.

-Mike

5. My friend's idiot friend blew up a miniature Peavy guitar amp by plugging his bass into it.

I would have to say it is not recommended.

6. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    Guitar amp through a bass speaker works OK. The closer you can keep the tone controls to flat the better.

I record through a Fender combo guitar amp (70's Silverface Pro Reverb) occaisionally. Works fine at low colume with a mic. Not a giggabl situation for me though.

7. Masher88

Masher88 Believe in absurdities and you commit atrocities

May 7, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    guitar head thru a bass cabinet will work ok. The distortion you get is really fun! A guitar combo amp isn't such a good idea...using the guitar speaker will blow it out really quick...and changing the guitar speaker out with a bass speaker isn't going to give good results because the speaker won't be optimized for that cabinet. Check out a Canadian band called "No Means No". The bass player plays through a Marshall JCM 800 guitar head. It sounds really distorted and evil...It fits their psycho-punk music style, though!

8. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    My new favorite 'roots' rig is a recently acquired, heavily modified Fender Bandmaster head through pretty much any cabinet... I got a non-Fender 2X12 g****r with it that sounds pretty darn good for bass... When I pair the head with my 2 1X15 cabs it sounds very sweet indeed, (much better that through a 4 ohm 1X15)... My newest project is converting an old, (OLD), Peavey 1X15 rear-firing cab into a 2X15 cab and mating it with this head...

-robert

9. Matt H

Matt H

Jul 30, 2005
    Ithaca, NY
    tube guitar head + bass cab?

will it work? yes

will it sound good? maybe

It really depends on the amp you use.

I heard someone above use hte comment "set the controls flat"- the funny thing, to me, about this comment? Well, if you set all knobs to "5" of "10" on a fender blackface/silverface (reissue of said amps) with TMB controls (even if the "m" is omitted as a knob), you're going to still get a very large mid scoop.

FYI the way to get an actual "Flat" eq on these amps (which still isn't totally flat, but as close as you're going to get) is to turn the treble and bass to zero (or, depending on the grounding scheme, they might have to be turned up just a teeeeny bit to get sound) and crank the "mid" knob to 10. (this stuff obviously depends on the EQ circuit being used, but this will hold true for almost all fender/marshall/vox styled three knob tone controls as found in guitar amps...)

10. I have used my THD Univalve, a guitar amp head, to record bass parts and it sounds amazing. I have also used it to play guitar through a Laney bass cab, and that sounds amazing too.