Guitar amp for bass

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by duncbass, Feb 24, 2004.

1. duncbass

Dec 28, 2003
    I have a Peavey Vintage 100watt 212. It's SS pre and tube power amp. Sounds sweet at low volume. I'm thinking of getting a 212 bass cab to use with it and unplug the internal speakers. Anyone tried something like this? Where do you normally think tubes would warm up the sound, in the preamp or the power amp?

I plan on getting a bass head at some point. Right now keeping an eye open for a used Thunderfunk.

2. Saetia

Mar 27, 2003
    At first glance I thought you were talking about playing bass through a guitar cab which is a no no basically because guitar speakers cannot handle the frequencies of bass and in no time with loud use you will see and hear why. As for using a guitar amp for a pre amp and power amp, there are many bass players who use guitar amp (head or pre/power sections) for a bass application. I think generally you won't get as much low end, but I've heard of some bass players swearing by using a guitar pre-amp or head. As for which warms up the sound, I'm probably wrong but from what I've heard around here, or at least how I understood it was that you can get a warm sound from a tube pre, but you will get a much warmer, strong sound from a tube power amp, something about enriched harmonic content thus sounding fuller and warmer. I may be wrong though so don't hold me to that part of this post. I'm sure some of the tube guru's may come across this thread and give you a better answere then what I gave you.