Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Guitar Amp For Dirty Bass

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by bass-shy, Jan 30, 2005.

1. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida
    I recently bought a Carvin SX200 2x12 guitar combo, and experimented with the dirty channel for my bass. Let me tell you, I think this is the way to go. (For me) In the past I've owned Big Muffs, ODB-3s, SansAmps and lots of other OD/disto-devices but this method sounds way better. By having a signal from my pedalboard go into the front of my bass rig, I get "my" clean tone. Then I have another signal go to the guitar amp. I keep the clean volume on the guitar amp minimized and the dirty volume set to match my bass rig. Using the guitar amps footswitch, I toggle between them, keeping the solid low end of my bass intact and only adding distortion to the mids and highs. Also, the added volume helps to compensate for a lack of a rhythm player during solos. By no means do I think that I pioneered this approach, but it works so well that I'm surprised that more people don't do it. The cost of the extra amp is similar to the cost of a boutique pedal and the added weight and and set-up time are well worth the gain. Not really a question or problem, I just felt like sharing.

2. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I've done it in the past but sold my Marshall half stack for finacial reasons. At the volumes I played at, I needed at least a $500 half guitar rig but it DID sound great.

3. Sounds like you need the Akai UNIBASS and run that to your guitar amp.

4. Correlli

Correlli

Apr 2, 2004
    New Zealand
    I'm starting to think that a guitar amp could the easiest way to get lots of distortion. I'm not putting down pedals like Sansamp etc, I think those pedals are great, but I'm seeing more and more bassist using guitar amps for distortion.

5. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida
    Don't get me wrong...I love SansAmps, and other pedals too. My SansAmp is and will always be a part of my rig, but the addition of the guitar amp just pushes my bass like no pedal can.

6. andruca

andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    I think Rob Trujillo does this (with Dual Rectifier combos).

ANDRUCA

7. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    A number of players have done this. I think Geddy Lee did it in the old days. I know others have, too. I just don't want/need to haul around another amp for an overdriven tone as I don't use it that much.

If it's a big part of your tone, it might be the way to go.

8. I went up north to my brothers wedding last year, and while I was up there I got the chance to jam with some young kids from my borthers church. I don't think they got the chance to play with a decent bass player very often - there wasn't even a bass amp on stage! The closest thing was a guitar stack with a marshall head. I wasn't sure about playing through it, but I did anyway. It sounded pretty poor until I switch to the overdrive chanel, then it sounded fantastic! It had a much more natural sounding overdrive/distortion than ANY pedal I have ever tried. It lost a little low end, but nothing a set of subwoofers wouldn't fix. I must have played through the overdrive chanel for 30 mins or so. It was fantastic.