Guitar amp question: a 150w guitar combo powering a 4x12 cab, help please.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by volumefiend, Jan 25, 2004.

1. alright,

my guitarist is thinking about getting a new cab, and ive wondered that since his current amp (a marshall 150w combo) is 150w, it could power a 4x12 cab just fine. he is thinking about an avatar 4x12sl. would this work? what would i need to do to find out? AND would a 4x12sl cab powered by his 150w combo be louder than the combo itself?

2. PJD

Jan 25, 2004
    The Ocean State
    As long as the combo has a speaker out jack on the back it's no problem. The Problem is the only 150 watt Marshalls are they're crappy valvestate stuff. Louder? Probably, better sounding? No.
  3. panazza

Nov 23, 2003
    a friend of mine used to power a 4 x 10' marshall cab with a 40w solid state marshall. It sounded great... much better than the combo alone... I don't know about the volume but to me that was pretty loud
  4. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Of course you can do that. People have been powering *two* 4-12s with 100 W amps for decades. A Fender Bassman is about 40 W into four 10s. It's not as if the speakers will go on strike if they don't get X amount of power. Assuming that the speakers in the 4-12 are reasonably efficient, it should be louder than the combo. It might or might not be a massive difference, but it should be noticeable.
  5. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    Why on earth do you want him to be louder?!! Are you equipped with the 8x10" stack and 500W+ you'll need to keep up?