1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Guitar Amp Question but it is bass related - Honest!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by sk8, Feb 18, 2008.

1. sk8

sk8

May 10, 2007
    United Kingdom
    My main amp is an Ashdown Mag 300 combo but i have dabled in guitar and after selling my electric i'm left with a Hughes and Kettner 100 watt matrix guitar combo doing nothing. I was wondering whether i could intput the stereo output of my EHX Stereo Electric Mistress without major harm to my guitar amp?

thanks in advance :bassist:

2. if you're extremely careful. I've seen cats that have used guitar amps when they couldn't afford anything else to practice with, but they were very gingerly with the EQ.

3. Flintlock

Flintlock

Jul 3, 2007
    Southampton
    Yes and no.

The amplifier section will be fine, the cabinet section will not like all of those lows going through it.

When you play low notes the speaker will be moving a lot more then it would with a guitar frequency, this can cause the cone to damage itself.

I regularly use a guitar amp with my bass, it has a 12" speaker and sounds pretty nice, however, it is nothing compared to a good bass amp. I've also tried a very small guitar combo (about 9" of raw solid state fury) and it sounds rubbish, and is obviously slowly killing itself if I play anything below a low A.

Basic advice is to not turn it up too much at all, or you could damage the speaker. Why don't you try running distortion through it? If you lose all of the low end then the amp will have less risk of damaging itself, and you can bi-amp with your ashdown to retain low end.

4. thumpbass1

thumpbass1

Jul 4, 2004
    Are you playing bass through an Electric Mistress? If so I'd
    be using the guitar amp to cover the highs of your stereo
    flanging.

The main problem with guitar combo amps and guitar speaker
    cabs is that bass can cause over excursion of the cone when
    push comes to shove in extreme volume situations. You won't
    be hurting anything if you keep the volume in check and don't
    goose the lows.

Also consider that the late 50's Fender Bassman was really
    a slightly beefed up guitar amp pushing four 10 inch Jensen
    speakers in an open back cab no different from their other
    amps beyond a couple of extra speakers and a hair more
    wattage output. So yeah, try it out.

5. sk8

sk8

May 10, 2007
    United Kingdom
    Yeah i'm using the mistress with my bass

so basically eq the bass low and keep the gain down?