1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Guitar Amp Question For Guitarists

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by mrjim123, Sep 20, 2019.

Tags:
  1. mrjim123

mrjim123 Supporting Member

May 17, 2008
    Indy
    The Gene Deer Band
    To those of you who also play guitar - a guitar player buddy of mine posted the following query on FB. Would appreciate any replies. Thanks.

"Guitar buddies. My favorite amp is the blackface Super Reverb. Think Anson Funderburgh. Alas I don’t really feel like carrying one up and down three flights of stairs anymore. Does anyone have a recommendation for a smaller amp with close to that beautiful 6L6 4X10 tone? Thanks"

2. Slater

Slater Leave that thing alone.

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    Kemper. ;) He can have the sound of any amp he wants…

konfyouzd likes this.
  3. konfyouzd

konfyouzd

Jan 3, 2009
    Seattle
    A cheaper and even lighter option would be one of the Helix floor units. They're basically full blown amplifiers or multi-effects units.

4. Mike JV

Mike JV

Mar 19, 2019
    I'm giving strong consideration to a Helix LT. When I play bass at church I travel light. Got my bass and a small accessories bag which carries my Zoom B3. When I play guitar at church it's my Peavey Classic 30, my 2X12 cabinet, my guitar, my pedal board and some very aching knees from carting all that stuff up from the basement and into my car. Heck, I'm 66 and also have a bad back.

I've been checking out a lot of videos regarding the Helix LT and have been very impressed with what I'm hearing. The idea of having a light, all in one versatile package (especially for an old, aching guy like me) sounds like a real winner.

If anybody here uses the Helix LT for guitar I'd love to hear what your impressions are.

5. marqueemoon

marqueemoon

Oct 8, 2019
    A Vibrolux would be worth checking out I think. My bandmate has one and it sounds great. Pretty light and easy to transport too.

For smaller lower wattage Fenderish amps I like the Swart sound a lot. The reverb has its own flavor, but it’s in that general camp. I have a STR Tremolo. It’s a loud 5 watts with a 6V6 and will take a 6L6 without re-biasing.

He could also pick up a head cabinet to house the Super electronics and a smaller/lighter cabinet.

BurnOut likes this.
  6. Michedelic

Michedelic MId-Century Modern

A Fender Vibrolux would seem to be half of a Super, but in my book, the ultimate small Fender amp would be a Deluxe Reverb, black
    or silver face. Thing is, prices reflect that. My favorite small amp in that realm is a somewhat overlooked one, the Egnator Tweaker.

7. marqueemoon

marqueemoon

Oct 8, 2019
    Fender also just came out with their Tone Master Deluxe Reverb and Twin Reverb - digital modeling versions of these amps at a fraction of the weight.

My general feeling on guitar amps is you really can get away with a smaller amp than you think in most situations.

BurnOut likes this.
  8. BurnOut

BurnOut It's The Billy Baloney Show

Feb 1, 2015
    The Natti
    ^This^
    You'll be mic'd at a minimum.

I'd check out the Blackstar HT-20R MkII at nearly half the weight of the super reverb. I've been really impressed with the stuff Blackstar is doing with their amps. Allows you to go direct into the PA also. They have a bunch of other cool bells and whistles.
    $599 from Sweetwater
    HT-20R MkII Guitar Amps | Blackstar Amplification

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 19, 2021