1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Guitar amp through bass cab question.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Hp Riffcraft, Jan 27, 2012.

1. Hp Riffcraft

Hp Riffcraft

Jan 27, 2012
    Ok so i play guitar in a band, i know this isn't a guitar forum but my cabs are bass cabs so i thought this still might apply.

I run a 4 ohm Marshall 100 HDFX guitar head into two 8 ohm Peavey Headliner bass 4x10's(400 watt max each), when I turn up to about half volume i get some crackling in the top cab, i was wondering if this was because i have them stacked on top each other and there is a lot of vibration from the bass or if there is something wrong with my setup?

i've rearraged the cabs and i always get the crackling in the top cab, it doesn't seem to do it when they sit side by side but then im afraid i would have trouble hearing myself in a live setting that way.

any thoughts?

2. Rick Auricchio

Rick Auricchio Registered Bass Offender

Try sitting on the floor and playing with the cabs side-by-side.

I'll bet you just aren't hearing the crackling in the lower cab because your ears are not on your knees.

3. Hp Riffcraft

Hp Riffcraft

Jan 27, 2012
    I will definitly try this, what would cause this and what could I do to prevent it?

4. lowendrv

lowendrv

Dec 12, 2007
    SoCal
    Are you using speaker cables or instrument cables to hook up to the head. I had guitarist that once used instrument cables and it crackled like all hell as soon as he turn up at all.

5. Hp Riffcraft

Hp Riffcraft

Jan 27, 2012
    I'm using the lead cables that came with my marshall half stack, also when i only run one cab there is no crackling.

6. lowendrv

lowendrv

Dec 12, 2007
    SoCal
    What gauge are cables ? Try 18 gauge wire and see if it goes away. Borrow some wires from your bass player to test it. Does it happen when you run it a 4 ohms with others cabs?

7. Hp Riffcraft

Hp Riffcraft

Jan 27, 2012
    I have a marshall cab that came with the head it's 8 ohms and i've never had it crackle also i plugged in one of the peaveys and the marshall cab setting side by side and i didn't hear it then either.

8. lowendrv

lowendrv

Dec 12, 2007
    SoCal
    How about with the Marshall on top of the bass cab, get it near your ears. Not side by side. The only other thing I can suggest start check all the connections in the cabinets.

9. Hp Riffcraft

Hp Riffcraft

Jan 27, 2012
    I just recently got the 2 peavey 4x10's before that i was just running the 1 marshall 4x12 cab but i had it on an amp stand so it was up high and i never got the noise, could my amp be underpowered when running the 2 4x10's, i got down on the floor and played with my ear by the bottom 4x10 and i didn't hear anything crackling i think it's just coming from the one on top.

should i put something in between the two cabs to absorb the vibrations?

10. oinkbanana

oinkbanana

Oct 20, 2011
    if you switch which one is on top & bottom... is it the same cab that's making the noise?

11. nashman

nashman

Feb 11, 2011
    Clean all jacks and cable plugs with Caig's Deoxit.

12. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
    If those peavey cabs have a tweeter, that might be what your hearing. I'd try turning them off (or disconnecting if necessary) for guitar duty.

13. capnjim

capnjim

Mar 13, 2008
    Ditto on the tweeter.

14. Hp Riffcraft

Hp Riffcraft

Jan 27, 2012
    I'm not sure but i don't think there is a tweeter in these cabs, but let me do some checking.