Guitar amp VS Bass amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassplayer321, Jul 30, 2001.

1. bassplayer321

Jul 30, 2001
    Hey i am a beginner and i would like to know the main differences between a guitar and bass amp. Is it also possible to play bass through a subwoofer/tweeter combination. I'm looking for some alternatives to buying an actual bass amp, most cost too much.
  2. from what i know. one is more senitive then the other. A bass amp will sound clearner the the guitar amp. you should be able to get a good amp for about $200. A buddy of mine got a used 200 watt yamaha for about $230.
  3. DON'T, i repeat <b>DON'T</b>, I repeat <b><i>NEVER</i></b> play bass through a guitar amp!!!
  4. bassplayer321

Jul 30, 2001
    I've actually blown out a guitar amp trying that. Is there a safe way to play through a guitar amp? There guitar amps are cheaper, i know this sounds mad ghetto. Are mini amps and those tiny ones that can fit on your palm any good?
  5. I forgot to suggest something. I just bought a headphone amp a few days ago. It's made by Danelectro called the e-studio. It cost me like $50, the sound is good. If your just starting out and playing by your self this would do. The model i have has mad built in ditorition that sounds horrible. It's good, it allows you to realy concentrate on what your playing and you don't wake people up when your pratcing at 3 in the morning.
  6. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    if you have a home stereo - you could always get a tiny mixer or headphone amp, plug your bass into the mixer, then run RCA outs to an input on your stereo reciever.

i'm assuming you're not gigging - if you are, bite the bullet and get a real bass amp.

7. Whoa! That's an excessive statement!

It's the SPEAKERS you have to worry about. Same too with plugging your bass into your home stereo (this is not advisable unless you're super careful).

Guitar and stereo speakers are not designed to handle the low frequencies and power that bass generates - they will work, but at low volumes (i've played thru a Marshall combo once but had to keep a check on the volume). Stereo speakers will produce a better, lower tone, but they generally cannot handle the peaks and transients that occur when playing a bass (the same too with plugging a guitar into a stereo). Put too much power into a home stereo or guitar combo, and you'll quickly tear up the speakers or blow the voice coils on them.

Move away from the speakers and look at the amp itsself - the main difference is the cut/boost range that the tone controls give, and the preamp voicing. Bass amps/heads generally have tone controls and preamps that are voiced specifically for bass (usually have a frequency range that starts lower than guitar amps and doesn't go as high as guitar amps) - but some are not.

As a quick rule of thumb, ANY guitar amp *head* will work for bass (forget about guitar combos unless you're looking at bedroom practise action), but won't necessarily sound good. My Ampeg V4 head (120w for guitar) sounds killer for bass, but my old (now deceased) Holden Wasp (200w for guitar) sounds tinny (due to lousy tone controls that just don't reach the low frequencies).