Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Guitar amps and bi-amping

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Ilikebadmusic, Jun 23, 2003.

1. Ilikebadmusic

Ilikebadmusic

Jan 4, 2003
    My Ampeg 2x10SP combo has a super punchy, tight low-end. I just love it. It's light, and easy to move around. And the lows are LOUD. Although, the high end and mid-highs are very tiny & lacking. So, I thought about bi-amping (Also, I've always wanted to distort/delay my highs). Could I get a signal splitter, and run it into a 2x12 guitar head/bass or guitar cab? That seems to be cheaper, as it seems I can't find any sub-less bass cabs around.

Whats a good/cheap splitter?
    What's the best/cheapest head/cab or combo for this?
    Must be near equal the volume of the combo (200 watts)

(I don't mind used stuff, aslong as it isn't rare. And guitar stuff is alot more common in Oklahoma)

2. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Interest concept. So interesting that no-one here is prepared to touch it.

Any crossover device will work as a splitter. You won't get one cheaper than the Behringer. It will split your signal into 1 low chanel that goes to your ampeg, and a high chanel that will go to the guitar combo. Most crossovers allow you to choose the frequency at which to split. I'd probably start pretty high in this case, probably about 300Hz, because I'm worried about the guitar amps ability to handle anything lower than that. Then experiment from there......

I'm not prepared to recommend guitar amps though. Why? Because to me that all suck, but some suck less than others. You'd be better off asking a guitarist about this part.

3. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

You don't need a crossover....Just get a Morley A/B/Y box and run your split signal into both amps. Each amp has it's own tone controls, so just roll off the bass on the g-amp.

4. Rolling off the tone control won't stop the low frequencies going to the guitar speakers, you'll need a crossover or a highpass filter to do that.

5. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

What am I missing here...?? Aren't tone controls
    filters? When you back the bass off, only treble and mids are left!, No?

6. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    I've done something similar in the past. I had a couple of Peavey combos - one was a TKO bass amp (75W, I think) and the other was a 35W Bandit guitar amp.

I plugged my bass into one of the two inputs on the bass amp (high and low) and then ran a cable from the other input (!) to the input on the guitar amp.

Don't ask me how that worked but it did send a signal to both amps. As I recall, I left the bass amp with a big fat setting and the guitar amp with the bass rolled off. I might even have put some FX between the bass amp and guitar amp.

I know it's not a true crossover, where each amp / speaker setup only handles part of the frequency setup, theoretically giving higher efficiency, but it actually worked quite well. It wasn't stunning enough to make me start doing that on a regular basis (just a one off experiment at one of the few gigs I did in that period), but it worked.

Wulf

7. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    BTW, my take on this is that, with most amps, this won't stop the lows reaching the preamp stage but if you EQ them out with whatever tone knobs / graphic EQ / etc is available, you can prevent the lows reaching the power amp and speaker sections.

Wulf