Guitar amps for bass

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Trevorus, Oct 18, 2005.

1. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I recently re-discovered a Crate G600 guitar head in my shed. I used to use it when my setup was really jank, with homemade crap cabs with radioshack speakers. It never sounded very good, then. But recently, I have used it with my ampeg 4x8, and my hartke. It's great for more intimate stages, and wonderful for home. The distortion in it is to die for, especially after I modified the clipping stage to sound a bit more tubey. Anyone else ever used guitar amps for bass with good results? I am about to try my little tube combo with my bass cabs to see how el84's sound on bass...
  2. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place
    There have been a number of threads lately on this very topic. In the early days of rock, everybody did it, as there were few bass amps. The right amp can be awesome on bass, I have used a guitar amp for bass and a bass amp for guitar, with excellent results. That Crate you mention makes me laugh - I bought one to get a cheap head enclosure to replace a smashed one on an expensive amp that arrived smashed from an Ebay deal. The amp itself I removed and sold really cheap. The guy that has it plugged his Jazz into it, and it sounds AWESOME.
  3. Never tried it, but i only have a peavey rage158 combo, however, guitar into my bass amp setup sounds sweet as hell, especially with the sansamp BDDI as a distortion pedal

I might be getting a peavey 5150 combo guitar amp, wonder what that'll be like with bass :S
  4. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Just be sure not to kill the 12's in the 5150, but I am sure that would sound good. I think the character of guitar amps to bring in the mids. I am about to plug in my tube combo into my Ampeg 4x8. I'll be back in a minute.
  5. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Oh, that was GOOOOOD. I have decided to use my tube guitar amp more with my bass, cause that sounded sooo sweet. It's going to be a lot heavier than my GK, but I think it'll be a good change of pace.
  6. snake

Jul 21, 2004
    Aurora. CO
    In the "early days of rock" I used to play through a Marshall stack with a 100w guitar head. Only went to 10 though. I'm sure I suffered hearing loss during this period.
  7. Aye, im not planning on really cranking it or anything :)
  8. Corwin81

Mar 18, 2003
    Ames, IA
    The bassist in a band from Minneapolis called Down And Above uses a 5150 head into an Eden 2X10 along with a Demeter pre/Stewart World power amp into an Eden 4X10 and it sounds massive when he kicks the distortion on. I definitely want to use a 25-35W tube guitar amp for distortion now(don't need the volume of a 5150).
  9. oh well, im not getting the 5150 combo anymore :( , spose i could do with the money
  10. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Using guitar heads with bass kicks ass.