1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

guitar amps handel rickenbacker neck pickup

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by kitcar765, May 14, 2006.

1. could i run two amps, one a bass amp taking the signal from the bridge pickup, and another a guitar amp taking the neck pickup signal, or would this just produce a bad sound. i think i have seen people using guitar amps taking the higher signal. i might be dooing this with a rickenbacker 4003 if it would work

2. anyone?

3. ric stave

ric stave

May 6, 2006
    Buffalo, NY
    It should work fine, but I'd think you'd want to do it the other way around - the neck (fuller/bassier) to the bass amp and the bridge (higher/brighter) to the guitar amp.

~ric (uh.... no pun intended...)

4. opps yeah, sorry i should have read my threat before hand, i meant could a guitar amp handel the bridge pickup, i think i have seen a few people playing bass using a guitar amp

5. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

the amp is not the issue, it's a guitar speaker that would have a low tolerance for bass signal. If you're talking about a combo rig the speaker is going to match the amp so not an issue.

Most guitar amps won't throw low frequencies anyway. Ones that do would have appropriate speakers.

So you can use either or both pups through the guitar amp if you wanted.

Cranked it still might swallow it's sphincter. Even if made to project low frequencies, it probably wasn't made to project primarily low frequencies.

6. Standalone

Standalone

Jan 17, 2005
    New Haven
    I have some guitar amps that have huge bass goin' on. Ampeg VT-22 is a 2x12 100 tube watt disc herniator.

A rackmount stereo power amp and 2 rackmount preamps plus cabs would be a much more reliable, transportable, and easily tweakable than two seprate amps.

Joe

7. Espidog

Espidog

May 19, 2006
    UK
    I run my Ric 4003 in a very similar way, with each pickup running to its own amp. This gives me a unique mix of clean clang'n'twang from the bridge and warm valve bloom from the neck, which I can mix as I need to. In my case, though, both amps are Ashdown ABM 300 combos, so no worries.

Nevertheless, I think your idea is worth experimenting with. As the other posters have said, provided you knock back the bass EQ on the guitar amp to avoid damage, it might work - and let's face it, if you've got the amps lying around anyway, all it's going to cost you is the price of one stereo jack, a few yards of twin-core screened cable, and a little box (home made, I hope) to split that out to two mono jacks to feed the amps. You could have the whole thing lashed up in an afternoon and see what it's like. At the very least, it would be fun!

ADDED LATER: I've just thought of one possible technical glitch that might arise. Connecting the same guitar to two amp inputs at once could produce an earth loop, resulting in tons of hum.