Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Guitar Amps Need Suggestions

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by ndjx, Dec 1, 2002.

1. ndjx

ndjx

Oct 26, 2001
    MN
    I'm looking for a head and cab setup for guitar and I want to try something other than Marshall. So if anyone has some good suggestions please I'd love to hear them.

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    What sound and features do you want/need? What price are you able to pay?

3. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    soldano? diezel?

4. If Marshall isn't an option, the only alternative is Mesa/Boogie, IMO.

5. ndjx

ndjx

Oct 26, 2001
    MN
    I wanna spend under $900. Going used is an option. I'm looking for a good rock amp. Doesn't need to have more than 1 channel. It needs to be loud enough for medium sized venues... that's pretty broad but I guess venues that are just of decent size. Nothing huge.

6. Captain Awesome

Captain Awesome

Apr 2, 2001
    PDX
    Peavey makes some nice ones as well.

7. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    In the absence of any info on your guitar/pickups/pedals and style here goes...

Firstly it's a choice of tubes or valves. Next up, some amps and I mean output tube type tend to suit certain guitars and styles.

The Gibson/Marshall cliche occurs because humbuckers and EL34's go together very well.

Single coils go nicely with EL84's (Vox) or 6L6's (Fender). Boogies use a high gain preamp on top of the 6L6's but as most people drive the preamp it wouldnt matter what valves they use IMHO.

The trick is to get a power stage that is driven hard at the volume (venue) you play at. Amps start to get interesting with the volumes at 6 or greater.

I play guitar in a band and use a Vox AC15ri with earplugs. I run the volumes at 3/4 and would like to dime them but the band complains.

I prefer to run single channel amps with an overdrive pedal. This opens another can of worms. I use a fuzz and overdrive pedal for gain. I also have a Pignose amp that uses 6L6's. THe od sounds better with 6L6's and the fuzz with the EL84's.

The point? Build the system from the guitar up and always use your gear to test stuff.

8. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    i agree on the line 6 suggestion. the PP guitarist has a line6 AX212 and it's awesome. it can do everything.

plus, they're blowing out the ax212's + floorboards for under 900 new at musiciansfriend

9. soldano? diezel?

NOT UNLESS YOU WANT TO SPEND 4 MONTHS SALARY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1) Peavey 5150 (NOT 5150 II)
    -great for the price; best metal/hard rock deal out there; you can get them for 500-600 US dollars.

2) Mesa Boogie Dual Rectumfryer - Kind of bassy, but still sounds great, ESPECIALLY WITH EMG PICKUPS!!!!!!!!! I swear, EMG and Mesa/Boogie were born for each other.

3) If you already have a poweramp and speakers to use, GET THE M/B TRIAXIS PREAMP!!!!!!!! I have never heard a guitar preamp sound this good. Problem is that it is pricey.

I hate the Line 6 amps; IMO they just sound too "fake." TUBES FOREVER!

10. You may want to check out some Hughes and Kettner stuff too. I've gotten some good stuff out of their guitar amps before

11. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Mesa or Vox are nice. I think the Mesa is a little more flexible.

12. If you're gonna go the Mesa route, might I suggest steering clear of the Rectifiers and the new Recto-lite F series and heading toward a Nomad?

Alternatively, you could just get a Twin Reverb and a nice distortion pedal. I've heard some really awesome sounds of nothing more than an SG, a Rat pedal, and a beat-up Twin.

13. i second everything pete said. you could also try running 2 peavey classic 30s at the same time, sounds pretty sweet.

14. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    ew.

15. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    Mesa's are good for the NuMetal thing, but IMHO, they sound ratty, and harsh. for another option, try boutique!

i'm all for boutique crap. Tophat makes some sweet amps in that under $1000 price range. try a 50 watt Emplexador for some sweet Marshall Plexi tones. or how bout a 30 watt King Royale for quick and easy Voxy EL84 fix? or the Ambassador 50 watter for some choice overdriven 6L6 Fender tones.

www.tophatamps.com

i've heard great things about the Reverend Hellhound 40/60. handwired, boutique built amps for only $579. i tried one at the recent Philly Guitar Show, and was knocked out by the tones for something so damn cheap.

www.reverenddirect.com

for something totally unique, try a 30 watt THD BiValve. you can get 'em used on Ebay for about $700 or so. they only come in heads AFAIK, but they're well worth buying a cab for it, IMHO.

the cool thing is that it allows you switch and swap out preamp and power tubes for a myriad of tones any single tube design amp can only dream of. e.g. instead of being tied down to just EL34's like in alot of Marshall amps, you could swap in a 6L6 and use it with an EL34, or even a 6550. the possiblities are endless.

www.thdelectronics.com