Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Guitar amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by JDBJJJP, Mar 20, 2001.

1. JDBJJJP

JDBJJJP

Mar 3, 2000
    has anyone ever reallyed used a guitar amp to play bass with? I have a friend who plays guitar and swears by his Roland Jazz Chorus amp. last week i sat down and fooled around with it and i came up with some great tones. The speakers seemed to hold up just fine, even at a pretty good volume. I understand that bass speakers have more bottem end but it seems from looking around that the frequency response for most bass and guitar speakers are simular. PLUS Dusty Hill (the ZZTOP bassist) has been doing it for years. I read an article that his current rig has three marshall jcm 900's and three double stacks of celestion green backs.......

2. Acacia

Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    i know more guitarists who use bass cabs than vice versa.

3. I once played a whole gig with my P bass going through a Fender Pro Reverb. Sounded OK. THe owner wasn't happy.

Generally, guitar amps are just too middy for bass.

4. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    Dusty Hill plays through Marshall JCM 900's and custom Creme cabs loaded with Celestions, but his sound also goes through a SansAmp Bass DI.

From what I've heard most guitar amps sound like crap with basses. But the Roland Jazz Chorus is supposed to be one of the better sounding guitar amps for bass.

5. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

My guess is that it may sound good on first pass, but your bass will kill it in due time. Components used in bass amplification are heavier, thicker, bigger, for good reason.

Dusty can afford to rip through speakers daily. He probably like the "quickness" of the guitar speakers but no one I've seen has ever described ZZ Top's bass as bone tone.

6. DaveB

DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    If you were stuck and needed a backup at low volume I guess I guitar amp would help you out. But as a permanent thing no way.

7. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    It might be worth a try in the studio to get some trippin' sounds. But for everyday work it's not the way to go IMO.
    There's a reason for the differences in bass and guitar amplification. Technical requirements and general sound ideal are worlds apart. You need about 10 times more power to amplify a low signal (a.ka. typical bass signal) the same way as a guitar signal. And guitar amps generally take more part in the tone shaping process than bass amp do. Modern bass sounds even rely on almost unaltered amplification of the bass' sound (SWR's sound e.g. evolved when they try to get the same sound with an amp that you get recording direct into a studio mixing desk).
    Why throw 30+ years of technical R&D out the window and start from scratch?
    Dusty has enough money to goof around, but do you?

8. ga_edwards

ga_edwards

Sep 8, 2000
    UK, Essex
    The Vox's are pretty good for this too, I played my bass through my brothers old AC50, in one channel, and he played guitar through the other, sounded great, if a little quiet.

Remember though, when band like the Shadows were starting about, they used to have one AC30 at the front of the stage, and ran the whole band through it, lead, rhythm and bass, sometimes a mic too.

9. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    The freqs being amped on a bass are going to be lower than a guitar. Could this non-standard signal be damaging to a amp?

Just curious.... I remember once one of my guitarists friends did some screamin guitar solo through my old fender sidekick 30 and I had to plink down $60 to get the thing working again.

10. rickbass

g - Take a look at a thread/question I put up yesterday, "Amp Life and SansAmp Bass Driver". MikeyD, an electrical engineer/tech stud, gave some really good info. on the subject. The short answer is "yes," under certain conditions he describes.

11. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    Thx for the tip... I read the post. I guess it falls under the catagory of nothing lasts forever anyways.

So if you get the sound you need turning your bass amp on its side and stuffing the cab with banana peels, well then that's what it takes. It's your amp and it's your sound.

12. rickbass

Would that be the Gorilla 30???

13. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    that was my first amp!