1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Guitar and Bass Preamp

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by superbassman2000, Apr 5, 2006.

1. Hello all!

I was just thinking...When i played my bass through my guitar amp, i liked the way it sounded. When i played my Bass through my bass amp, I liked the way that sounded as well.
    Now, what if i wanted both preamps in one?
    I know that the EQ points for guitar and bass amps are different, so i was wondering...is there a some kind of preamp that has an eq section that includes both the guitar eq points and bass eq points? or maybe i am thinking of a 6 band parametric eq?
    is there more to it than what i am thinking?

2. You could bi-amp by having one signal into the guitar amp, and another into the bass amp. Maybe its just the sound of the guitar 2x12 or whatever that you like.

3. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I think you may be right. The bi-amp is a good idea. I will have an amp soon with biamp features that I can change the crossover point. It might be cool to run half on a 412 guitar cab, and the other half on a 410 bass cab.

4. yeah, i've tried biamping, but i am thinking more about my preamp idea, as i don't have the money to buy two cabs, two amps...i fact is, i was playing around with my peavey 1810, and i have plugged in a bass cab to it, and i have also hooked up a guitar amp, and they both sound good. My thoughts go as follows:
    the main difference that i see between a standard guitar amp and a standard bass amp, are the eq points. If there were a way to get all six eq points (guitar and bass "bass, guitar and bass "mid", guitar and bass "Treble") in one box, it would be a similar sound as if they were running together

5. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I use a crate 60 watt amp with bass sometimes, and it actually is pretty good sounding on guitar. Nice stuff. Not a bad idea.

6. its funny you say that because when i am talking about my guitar amp, i am talking about my Crate 25 watt amp :)
    maybe its just crate :)

but anyways, what i was thinking of is basically adding those crate EQ points into a bass preamp (or at least some way of mixing the two)

7. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I am sure you could research the schematic on one of those and build a preamp box pretty easily. If you weren't up to that, I can see what I am could do with it. I'm planning on being an electrical engineer, so that sounds like my kind of project!

8. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    What about just buying an external EQ pedal?

9. i considered it, but in the end, i want to keep my pedals to a minimum, and if i can get that pedal in a preamp with bass eq...actually i even had the idea to get a bass eq pedal and a guitar eq pedal, and rehouse both together in a rackmount

on a similar note, i might have this wrong, but i was also thinking of getting a parametric eq, where i could figure out the eq points of certain guitar and bass amps, and set the frequency to those points and boost/cut them where i want them...

10. Justice

Justice

May 24, 2002
    Houston TX.
    Back in the 80's Peavey made a simple, no frills single rackspace tube preamp. The guitar version was called the TG Raxx and the bass version was called the TB Raxx. I have the bass version (it has 2 12ax7 tubes) it has pre and post gain, and 2 eq sections.

From what I have read recently while looking for some info on mine (i brought it out of retirement while waiting for my new Bass Vamp Pro to arrive) the guitar and bass versions were exactly the same with just different lables on the knobs. On the bass versions the first EQ section is marked High/Mid/Low and the second section is marked Bottom/Body/Edge. Its a really nice sounding preamp and can produce a nice overdrive for both guitar and bass.

I have toyed with the idea of getting another one to disassemble to see if it could be converted into a preamp pedal of some sort.

11. Dash Rantic

Dash Rantic

Nov 12, 2005
    Palo Alto, CA
    I've got a guitar 1X12 old Fender amp I've been thinking about bi-amping with, sending most of my effects to the guitar amp, and octave/pure signal to my bass amp. I've heard conflicting reports about whether or not this will cause any damage to the guitar amp, though. I'm not worried about the circuitry, of course, but what about the speaker? Would this cause any problems?

Also, if I were to do this, what would you guys reccomend to split the signal with?

Thanks!

-Dash

12. If it's only a matter of EQing, grab a bass preamp with fully parametric EQ, you'll be able to scult your bass sound as well as your guitar sound.
    Nontheless, you'll need some pedals to give you overdrive or distortion on the guitar(if you use some).

13. I am talking about running a bass, not guitar

14. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Or just get a 31 band rackmount graphic eq and be done with it.

15. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    :cool: That'd keep me busy :D

16. yeah, i was thinking about the same thing...i am kinda looking to see if there are any digital EQs or a EQ where the sliders can be pushed in, like those ibanez tone-loc pedals...i either have OCD of some phobia where i just can't have all those sliders without fiddling with them and screwing everything up easily

17. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Part of the thing is the structure of the preamp and tone stack makes that particular voicing. There is a reason why people play vintage amps, not just modeled versions of them. Even if you were to get a 31 band EQ, who's to say where the dips and peaks of that particular preamp are. If you really want to go hardcore, just strip out the guitar amp's preamp, and supply it with necessary supply voltages, and make it rackmount or a pedal. OR, you could also (since it's solid state) run it with no speaker, use a powerbrake as it's load and use a line out from that to a power amp or your current rig. Or, run it with no load which is safe for only solid state devices (as in, not tube) and just run a line out (if it has one) to another amps preamp in.

18. exactly...i thought a 5-6 band parametric eq would be the closest to what i want, but there was a time when i was just thinking that i should just take that crate, find a bass preamp and rehouse the whole thing into a 2u rackmount...of course this means work lol

19. Ba55Man1ac

Ba55Man1ac Gold Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    Hey dudez. I have played around with this idea - I know the sound you get when you play your bass through a guitar amp - it loses the woofy bottom end which sounds so good but feels like it weighs you down. I don't think eq/preamp/biamping is the answer, as I think the design of the speaker cab has a lot to do with the sound you get. Guitar amps often have an open back which rolls off the bottom end - that and the speaker is not designed to reproduce as low frequencies as bass speakers. I fear the answer might be to run a small guitar combo next to your bass rig...!? Sorry!