1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Guitar and Bass

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jake VanDeYacht, Nov 28, 2018.

1. Jake VanDeYacht

Jake VanDeYacht

Oct 11, 2018
    Wisconsin
    Hi, I have a bass and an electric guitar and I can only get one amp and I would really like for it to be a combo amp. I had a peavey Vypyr Vip 3 that failed and people are saying they all fail after a year or so. What are my options and are there any other amps that play bass and guitar other than the Vypyr series?

jamro217 and EatS1stBassist like this.
  2. BurnOut

BurnOut It's The Billy Baloney Show Supporting Member

Feb 1, 2015
    The Natti
    A bass amp will handle guitar, where a guitar amp can't really handle bass. I heard people say the Fender Rumble sounds good for guitar.
    By your saying Vypyr sounds like you want an amp with fx bells and whistles. Though the effects are cool for messing around at home, they don't really stand up for a performance situation. I think Fender just came out with a Rumble that does fx.
    I'm of the mindset of keep em separate, each doing their intended job for that particular instrument. But that's just me, others my have different options on this. Good luck, I'd go used, more bang for your buck, making it possible for you to get 1 amp for guitar, and 1 for bass.
    Peace N Chicken Grease

jamro217 and EatS1stBassist like this.
  3. Jake VanDeYacht

Jake VanDeYacht

Oct 11, 2018
    Wisconsin
    Okay. Is the Line 6 AMPLIFi 75 any good? It has amp modeling and there’s a bass mode for it. I only really need an amp for lessons and jamming with friends

4. brianmharrison

brianmharrison

Oct 11, 2007
    Atlanta
    If you can only get one amp, I would look at a bass amp and play bass and guitar through that.

Onboard effects are usually not great so I wouldn’t use that as a deciding factor

5. BurnOut

Feb 1, 2015
    The Natti
    From what I read on that it's still just a guitar amp. The bass settings is to answer back to What Blackstar and Boss are doing with their new amps. A big 412 closed back sound out of a small package.
    If you have the money to get a new Line 6, I'd go the used route and get two separate amps. Unless this is a credit kinda pay thing. Look into the new Fender Rumble Modeling amps. I think that would fit your all in one needs better.

6. Slater

Slater Leave that thing alone. Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    Killed_by_Death and BurnOut like this.
  7. BurnOut

Feb 1, 2015
    The Natti
    He might have a regular guitar amp now but I know he did. I think he has the new modeling Rumble too.

Killed_by_Death and Slater like this.
  8. Jake VanDeYacht

Jake VanDeYacht

Oct 11, 2018
    Wisconsin
    I’ll look into the rumbles, but I really like the feature of being able to use it for Bluetooth music with that line 6 and changing models and stuff on my phone. Sweetwater has a deal right now for $250 it says

9. The Trace Elf goes gangbusters on guitar but you have to promise not to go to the dark side and become a kidtarist blowing out everyone's hearing with 200w going into a 412 guitar cab.

10. Jake VanDeYacht

Jake VanDeYacht

Oct 11, 2018
    Wisconsin
    I probably should have said this earlier but my budget is around $250ish maybe a little more depending on the deal.

11. That's practice amp money unless you go used bargains.

12. BurnOut

Feb 1, 2015
    The Natti
    Like I said before that is a guitar amp. You might get away with playing bass thru it at low volumes, if you crank it up playing bass it will fail.

Element Zero likes this.
  13. Papazita

Papazita

Jun 27, 2008
    Ohio
    I was going to say my Fender Bassman head & 4x10 with the horn off sounds amazing with guitar too, but that's out of your budget...

14. JakobT

JakobT

Jan 9, 2014
    Oslo, Norway
    +1 for the Rumble series. Works great with guitar.

BurnOut likes this.
  15. S.F.Sorrow

S.F.Sorrow

Dec 6, 2014
    The main problem isn't the amp but the speaker. Guitar speakers can't handle bass, meaning they will blow sooner or later and potentially fry the amp in the process. Bass speakers usually sound terrible with guitar.

If two completely separate amps isn't an option I will strongly recommand finding a head that sounds decent for both guitar/bass and at least get two separate cabs. Just make sure the impedance is correct.

If you can only get one now, get a head that works for both + a bass cab (at least you won't blow up anything) and then get a proper guitar cab later. A combo for both is a HUGE compromise IMO.

And when I say "a head that works for both" I mean something that is actually designed to work with bass too. Most guitar amps roll off the low frequencies much too high to be suitable for bass. You will never get a proper bass sound from an amp like that. Ok, for practising at home if you use a speaker that can handle it but nothing more.

If this is for recording, also consider that fact that the cab is probably the one single factor in your signal chain that colors the sound the most. So if both guitar+bass is recorded through the same cab they will probably end up fighting each other in the mix and require extensive eq'ing.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2018
    BurnOut, kentiki and Haroldo like this.
  16. ardgedee

ardgedee

May 13, 2018
    A combo amp for keyboard will be full-range and should handle both guitar and bass adequately.

jackn1202, jamro217, klokker and 6 others like this.
  17. BurnOut

Feb 1, 2015
    The Natti
    The OP seems stuck on getting something with lackluster onboard effects for some reason.

jackn1202 and Jake VanDeYacht like this.
  18. My favorite for this sort of thing (though it would hardly keep up with guys with big guitar amps) is a Roland JC120: Play it as is for bass (great chorus !), add a tube screamer for guitar, and you're off to the races.

BurnOut, Two-Spirit and mikewalker like this.
  19. fingerguy

fingerguy

Aug 2, 2016
    CT
    Headphones. I played a bass on a small guitar amp and sounded like garbage. But put on a pair of headphones and sounds awesome.

20. mexicanyella

mexicanyella

Feb 16, 2015
    Troy, MO
    You want a closed-back amp; open-backed amps are common for guitar but suck for bass. I believe Vypyr amps are open backed...?

I've had really good luck running guitar through these two bass amps:

1) a Line 6 Lowdown 110 (75 watts, 1 x 10" speaker, a handful of different digital bass amp models built in, all in a one-foot cube). I thought it sounded pretty great when you cranked a guitar through the SWR model, EQed it with some upper mid emphasis and turned up the compressor control a bit. Kerr-ang! Pretty punchy. Light, portable, discontinued long enough that you might find one cheap on CL or at a pawn shop.

2) the 1990s Peavey TKO 115S that I have now. It has the 15" Scorpion speaker, which sounds good for guitar and is adequate for bass in this low-powered (80 watts) application. The Peavey sounds better to me the more you crank it up, especially for guitar. It has a combined graphic and shelving EQ, which takes a little time to figure out if you're used to no-braining your way around guitar-amp-style three-knob EQs. But once you do, the Peavey is heavy and bulky but a durable, cheap, any pawn shop should have one or two kind of amp that can be useful for both instruments.

I'd imagine similar results could be had from other older, now-inexpensive solid-state bass combos, such as Crates or Fenders. Cheap CL/pawn shop bass amps. Never tried guitar through either, but I did have to run my 6-string lap steel through an older Fender BXR 200 bass amp years ago because it was all that was in the studio, and it worked great...better and better the more you turned it up.

Note that I am talking about a loud, bright, punchy, mostly clean just barely breaking up kind of rhythm guitar tone here, achieved without effects--just the guitar and amp--at useful gig levels. Maybe just dirty enough to play something like Petty's "Mary Jane's Last Dance" or REM's "The One I Love." You could get more dirt from a boost or a distortion in front of the amp, I guess, but that's not what I do when I play guitar.

I am not someone who can relate to bluetooth amp access or the whole notion of the Amplifi series. I think they look like sleek dehumidifiers and thinking about people accessing amps via phones and apps makes me want to put on my foil hat!

Last edited: Nov 29, 2018