1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Guitar and Bass

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jake VanDeYacht, Nov 28, 2018.

1. ThinCrappyTone

ThinCrappyTone Mostly harmless Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    ampeg pf20t head tube head has killer tone for both guitar and bass. i use mine for both, all the time.

it’s not a combo, so it needs a cab of some sort. and the amp has no fx or even distortion built in, but its a great all-tube guitar/bass foundation, and not too expensive, imo

here is a demo of guitar being played through it.

Sean Parsons, macmanlou and vvvmmm like this.
  2. Roland GR 88

Roland GR 88

Sep 16, 2013
    Whitby
    The Amplifi 75 will work for bass, just don't expect much volume. Your jams will have to be 'baby-sleeping' quiet.
    A used amp like an old Peavey TNT, a Rumble or Ampeg BA that's a few years old with a new Zoom effects pedal will get you your sounds and keep you under budget.

BurnOut likes this.
  3. BlueShox

BlueShox Registered Turtle Supporting Member

Jul 14, 2007
    West Columbia, SC
    I can vouch that the Fender Rumbles will work just great for bass. If you like the Vypyr for its modeling and effects, perhaps you could get the Fender Studio bass combos which are modeling amps as well.

BurnOut likes this.
  4. murmur70

murmur70

May 3, 2017
    Indiana
    Another vote for a keyboard amp. I believe Roland has some good ones.

BurnOut and mikewalker like this.
  5. Fender Rumble 40 is fine with guitar or bass, and so is this little monster:

http://www.voxamps.com/VX50BA

VX50BA-large.

RE: Rumble 40, get the Rumble Studio 40 if you want to use effects

BurnOut likes this.
  6. Jake VanDeYacht

Jake VanDeYacht

Oct 11, 2018
    Wisconsin
    Is the ashdown AAA 60 any good? It’s got the modeling stuff

7. DavC

DavC Supporting Member

May 17, 2005
    Tallmadge , Ohio
    as most keep saying , bass amps are the way to go ..! ( seems that's not what you wanna hear .? )

but that's what i use ..! ( bass , gtr, keys ) if the combo has a tweeter , i'd look for one with an on/off switch or volume control for the tweeter ..!!!

i use different fx pedals or rack units for whichever instrument ..

BurnOut and dxb like this.
  8. EatS1stBassist

EatS1stBassist

Apr 15, 2016
    So cal
    RUMBLE 200c v3. I use it with a Boss Ds2 and a ELH FLERB. GREAT SATISFACTION PINCH HARMONICS DRIP FROM The 15”

BurnOut likes this.
  9. mexicanyella

mexicanyella

Feb 16, 2015
    Troy, MO
    Another thing to think about, if you want to build one budget rig that will handle both guitar and bass...

What I use most of the time these days is a Zoom B-2 preamp pedal, which is a small digital modeler intended for bass. It's a generation or two old now and discontinued (the current equivalent is probably the MS60B, for around $100). I bought my B-2 on Craiglist for about $50. It's got several amp models, pretty decent-sounding reverb, tremolo, delays, some bass synth sounds that are full-on weird, an accurate and easy-to-use tuner, compression, limiting, noise reduction, and two different kinds of EQ (six band graphic or two-band shelving) plus a tone knob in each of the amp models that shifts the tonal balance around somewhat. It got me a lot of flexibility for the cost of one cheap pedal and it's been reliable for the year and a half I've had it.

I use the B-2 to drive an old Peavey rack power amp, which I bought for $40 on Craigslist, and a small bass cab with no tweeter. Some of the Zoom B-2's models can be tweaked into pretty cool guitar tones (the Hartke amp model with a little compression and reverb added does a nice Fendery clean sound, and the Boss ODB-3 bass overdrive pedal model can do a useful Marshall JCM800 kind of crunch. The Fuzz Face model can do a pretty insane soloing tone, and the Acoustic 360 amp model can do a really nice clean that suits my lap steel really well.

When I play bass through it, I like the Marshall Superbass model. Anyway, it took me some evenings of nerding off and tweaking it to discover all that, but it's a durable little box that can do a lot of stuff you might not expect. I was borrowing a Line 6 Pod 2.0 from a friend before I bought that, and it could do the same sort of things, but the Zoom seems to have less stuff I don't need and EQ that's a little more flexible for bass.

So that's an avenue you could explore, if you don't mind toting a few separate boxes to make up your rig and you want flexibility and low cost.

10. Anachronism

Anachronism Supporting Member

Nov 17, 2014
    MO
    OP, you need a bass amp. Guitar speakers are not designed to handle bass frequencies, especially at volume, and playing bass through them tends to destroy them. Guitar amps can sound good for bass (I had a Mesa TA-30 that worked well) if run through a bass speaker cab. However, the cost of a guitar amp head, plus separate speaker cabs for guitar and bass, seems to be out of your price range. You should be able to get a tolerable bass amp for your budget, though I'd encourage you to not worry about modeling. You sound young, so if you stick with playing you'll be able to get better gear in time, but an ok practice amp is always nice to have around. Also, if you don't have a job but can get one, do so. 10-20 hours a week at the local fast food joint will add up and help you get some good gear.

11. Jake VanDeYacht

Jake VanDeYacht

Oct 11, 2018
    Wisconsin
    Yeah, I’m 16 and what bass combo amps have a tweeter on it? Maybe a few effects too?

12. If you crank the gain on that PF20T you should be able to get overdrive (distortion). Otherwise, I'd sell it :smug:

This was the other suggestion I intended to make earlier. If you like a tube overdrive sound, get a tube guitar amp & plug it into a bass cabinet:

14. BurnOut

BurnOut It's The Billy Baloney Show Supporting Member

Feb 1, 2015
    The Natti
    +1 for this & a gold star!

15. dxb

dxb

Dec 25, 2016
    I have an old Hartke combo that I use for bass but it works great for guitar too. It also works well as a keyboard amp for my vintage synths. It only does clean but I can get good drive sounds with pedals. Just the other day I plugged in my tele with a FuzzMo and got one of the best heavy guitar tones I've heard in a while.

BurnOut likes this.
  16. DonaldR

DonaldR

Mar 26, 2012
    With $250 you will never find something usable for both guitar and bass because they are different beasts. So keep your Vyper (or even better trade it for a Boss Katana) and with $250 you buy a used small combo for bass (something like a GK MB112). Cheapest, easiest solution.

I play guitar and bass on regular basis. For the last 6-7 years I'm using an Avid Eleven Rack (incredible guitar modeler) which also has a very good SVT/8x10" model. This goes to an EV ZLX12P (powered PA speaker). This speaker can handle a loud drummer for guitar and a low/moderate drummer for bass (because of the builtin DSP). The only "one solution" that worked for me for guitar and bass is this.
    (I lately added a small EV ZXA1 sub and will never go back to a bass amp)

So using the same concept:
    - Powered PA speaker with DSP (very important for bass), find a used EV ZLX12P for $250
    - Sell/trade your Vyper for a guitar/bass modeler (Mooer/Tech21 also have good preamp pedals for that)
    - Bass preamp if your guitar modeler doesn't include bass amp models (I have an Ampeg SCR-DI that I really like for that purpose)
    - you can save on the bass side by going direct to PA if you have an active bass or even only a DI if you have a passive bass (I had good results for home practice)

17. BurnOut

BurnOut It's The Billy Baloney Show Supporting Member

Feb 1, 2015
    The Natti
    This was gonna be something I would of suggested. Since they were discontinued I didn't offer it up as it would take a little work on the OP's part to find one. I also have a feeling that the purchase involves credit, limiting the ability to buy used stuff with Ca$h.

18. Jake VanDeYacht

Jake VanDeYacht

Oct 11, 2018
    Wisconsin
    I can do cash or credit

BurnOut likes this.
  19. Jake VanDeYacht

Jake VanDeYacht

Oct 11, 2018
    Wisconsin
    The Vypyr is broken and I can only get one amp

20. DonaldR

DonaldR

Mar 26, 2012
    I don't think you can get anything satisfactory for guitar and bass in one amp at $250 except going the modeler/powered PA speaker route.
    You probably can get a used EV ZLX12P for $250 (remember you need builtin DSP for bass), this will handle your bass direct. Do you have a pedalboard? If so then look at a Tech21 blond or some Mooer mini preamp pedal as they have a cab sim and they will accept your pedalboard. If not Avid Eleven Rack is now on sale for $199 at Sweetwater (I think). You will be blown away by it for guitar (even for bass).