1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Guitar and Bass

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jake VanDeYacht, Nov 28, 2018.

1. mexicanyella

mexicanyella

Feb 16, 2015
    Troy, MO
    Sheeeew, boy, with $250 you could pick up a used 1 x 15 bass combo from Craigslist and a used modeler pedal, easily...if you're patient. There's a Peavey TNT on my local CL right now for 100 bucks, and that's enough amp to play local bass gigs with. Stick a modeler pedal in front of it and you could play guitar through it too. Hell, as I said in my previous post...if all you want is a big punchy cleanish tone you wouldn't even need the modeler...just some time figuring out the EQ curve that suits your tastes in guitar sounds.

I see older used bass combos in the local CL all the time...Crate BX100s, Peavey TKOs and TNTs, the occasional Fender BXR, various Ampeg combos. Now that lightweight and compact class D amps and Neodymium speakers are hot property, the older heavy bulky stuff is getting unloaded for peanuts.

The Line 6 Lowdown 110 I mentioned earlier was something I ran across in a pawn shop. It looked new. It didn't have a price tag so I just carried it up to the counter and asked the guy if he'd take $75 for it, and he said yep, cash...get it out of here. It was a cool little amp. Maybe enough to gig with if you were in a semi-acoustic kind of act that wasn't really loud, and certainly enough to annoy your housemates when practicing. I probably could've gigged with it as a guitar amp, if I'd still been playing guitar in a gigging band at that point.

BurnOut likes this.
  2. Jake VanDeYacht

Jake VanDeYacht

Oct 11, 2018
    Wisconsin
    In this case then I’ll just use my little 10 watt bass amp until I need anything bigger and spend the money on a nice guitar amp.

3. DonaldR

DonaldR

Mar 26, 2012
    For a good guitar amp at $250, check out Boss Katana 50w, I have one and love it. Speaker is good but you need to break-it. Effect are good enough.

4. Jake VanDeYacht

Jake VanDeYacht

Oct 11, 2018
    Wisconsin
    Alright, one of my friends has a mustang 2 I think? He said I should get one of them. I’ll look at both.

5. Anachronism

Anachronism Supporting Member

Nov 17, 2014
    MO
    Used VoxAC4C1

EatS1stBassist likes this.
  6. Jake VanDeYacht

Jake VanDeYacht

Oct 11, 2018
    Wisconsin
    D
    Don’t vox amps have the British sound? I’m not a big fan of that.

7. Jake VanDeYacht

Jake VanDeYacht

Oct 11, 2018
    Wisconsin
    I’m looking at the Marshall code 50, the fender mustang gt40, and the boss katana right now.

8. Anachronism

Anachronism Supporting Member

Nov 17, 2014
    MO
    A British sound, yes. Jangly.
    If you don’t like that then you should avoid the Vox.

9. Jake VanDeYacht

Jake VanDeYacht

Oct 11, 2018
    Wisconsin
    Alright then I’ll avoid that. I like the sound of Marshall of course and the only other thing I’ve tried was a big boss cabinet

10. DonaldR

DonaldR

Mar 26, 2012
    Might not be the greatest sound for bass but maybe you can get a Boss Katana Head with 1x12 guitar cab and 1x12 bass cab.

Jake VanDeYacht likes this.
  11. Buy one for your bass/guitar, and save up for the other one. That sounds like the best option right?

12. Jake VanDeYacht

Jake VanDeYacht

Oct 11, 2018
    Wisconsin
    Ok, I’ll probably get the boss katana 50

13. Nev375

Nev375

Nov 2, 2010
    Missouri
    Used Roland Bass Cube 100 or 60 I think will do what you want.

Down the road if you find the guitar tone lacking you can improve that with an appropriate amp sim/dirt pedal and use the Roland as your modulation/power stage.

14. Sean Parsons

Sean Parsons

Nov 13, 2018
    Yep, I’m doing this but in revese. I have a Cube 40 guitar amp but the bass sounds fine at practice volume. In an ideal world, I would prefer it to be the other way round.

I see a local band and the bass players uses a Roland Cube Bass 120 and he always sounds great.

A secondhand 60 would be a great buy.

15. Jake VanDeYacht

Jake VanDeYacht

Oct 11, 2018
    Wisconsin
    I tried my friends Katana and I thought it was pretty good. However I’m not a big fan of having the same thing as someone else so I went with the Marshall code 50. I got a good deal on it and I’m happy with the purchase

16. lfmn16

lfmn16 SUSPENDED Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    For $250 you aren't going to get a sexy, effects filled amp with all the bells and whistles that will work with both bass and guitar at even rehearsal volume. Reset your sights on an old Peavey Combo or head and cabinet. Plain but reliable and will do the job.

17. Jake VanDeYacht

Jake VanDeYacht

Oct 11, 2018
    Wisconsin
    No, I changed it to just a guitar amp now since I have a cheap little bass one for now, then in like a month or so when I get some Christmas money I’m gonna get an Ampeg 110 maybe or something along those lines