1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Guitar as a songwriting tool

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by HoosierBassist, Dec 10, 2011.

1. HoosierBassist

HoosierBassist

Dec 18, 2010
    I am a bassist first and foremost. However, I wanna purchase an electric guitar, as a songwriting tool. I'm in a blues-rock duo, i am the bassist, and my friend is the guitarist. My price range is about 350$ max. I've really gotten into blues music, so I'm leaning towards maybe a Telecaster or Strat. There is no "best guitar" It's all a matter of opinion. You can use LP's or SG's or Strats or Telecasters or Jaguars etc for blues.

I am leaning towards a Telecaster, or maybe a Jazzmaster/Jaguar, all Squiers. Unless i can get a used Fender for under 350$. Anybody who plays both guitar and bass,

What do you think for bluesy music, which of these guitars would fit the role the best? Stratocaster's are great, but they just seem so common. Epiphone Dot is a cool archtop. Epiphone Wilshire? I just don't see myself with a Les Paul.

2. Baron Von Vik

Baron Von Vik

Jun 11, 2010
    Somewhere in Arizona
    Mojo FunkBasses
    Buddy Guy= Strat. BB King= Gibson. Billy Gibbons= Gretsch. Robert Johnson= Kalamazoo. Muddy Waters: Tele.

Whatever guitar you use, blues gets played.

Personally, the songs come together in my head, and I find them on the piano or keyboard. Rarely on the guitar.

3. HoosierBassist

HoosierBassist

Dec 18, 2010
    I can't play piano.

4. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Song Surgeon slow downer. https://tinyurl.com/y5dcuqjg
    I have a Fender 6 string acoustic, a modded (Super Distortion pickups w/coil splitting) Les Paul Studio, and a no name standard clone Strat.

I find that having an acoustic around lends itself to being picked up most often because it can be played anywhere. I use light gauge electric guitar strings (8's) so it plays pretty easily. It may not be as loud but it does okay.

I like the low frets on the LP for easy slides and chord changes.
    For me, the Strat volume control gets in my way as I anchor my hand on the bridge. I like the string spacing on the Strat a bit better(it's a little bit wider).

As far as an electric goes, play the ones you're interested in and get one that's easy for you to play (fits your hand) and make sure it has a good setup before you bring it home.

I added a pre-amp tube distortion pedal so I can get blues tones at any volume. The LP really wails with the SD bridge pickup.

Just my $.02

If I had to pick one, I'd get an good acoustic guitar with a cut away first. I've had my acoustic for way long than my electrics. Depends on your goals.

You may want to check out my TB guitar thread (link below).