Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

guitar (bass) speakers in your car?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by rusmannx, Nov 1, 2004.

1. rusmannx

rusmannx

Jul 16, 2001
    i know we've all decided that car audio does not belong in your bass cabs, but what about the othe way around?
    anyone ever tried deltas? or even celestians for your car subs?

2. ESP-LTD

ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    Idaho
    I like them just fine, thanx.

JBL GT-120

3. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Bad move. Speakers for recorded sources respond, ideally, flat to 40 Hz minimum, and no electric bass speaker is capable of even close to that, even with the cabin gain of a car. Will it be loud? Yes. Good? No. But if you can't tell the diffrence between the two...

4. Rhythmalism

Rhythmalism

Sep 25, 2004
    Yeah, bass and PA speakers are good for output, but won't handle the lows like a subwoofer if that's what you're asking. It will be plenty loud though, I used a JBL 15" PA woofer for a few months and my stereo was louder than I could turn it up without ear protection.

5. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I used to spend more time listening to music in the car than anywhere else, so I installed a semi-decent stereo system in my previous car.

Picture a station wagon with a boot that's empty except for a pair of sony 6x9 speakers. Hidden under the drivers seat is a 4x125w Sansui amp. I use 2 chanels to run the 6x9's. The remining 2 channels are bridged and I have a 1/4 inch jack lead that runs to the boot. Why? So I can plug it into my bass rig on the way to gigs. I usually use the JBL 15", sometimes the Eden 2x10, adjusting the eq etc from the stereo unit.

They went low enough to keep me happy, certainly lower than the 6x9's. I did however find myself turning them around they were firing away from the driver's seat. I don't know why but it sounded a bit deeper that way. These seakers aren't designed to go as deep as a dedicated car sub and they can be too efficient. But The extra effiency is kinda cancelled because I'm only running an 8 ohm load to the sub, but 4 ohm load to the other speakers. The gain on the amp is adjustable so I tweaked it until all channels were nicely balanced.

Since then I build a sealed 2x10 sub with drivers that were designed to be car subs, and this sounds MUCH better than running through a bass guitar cab. But at the time I wasn't too unhappy with the sound from the bass cabs.

Word of advice. Don't advertise the fact thet you have a decent stereo by blaring it crowded places. You're asking for your car to be stolen..........

6. heh, i do the same thing...and have to disagree with the initial post regarding using car speakers for instrument use.

i run a hifonics 12" sub in a small ported enclosure - cranks as loud as a 4x10 and surprises most, with quite an articulate sound. sensitivity is where it falls down a bit, but no problems if you are feeding it enough watts.

when i'm on the way to a gig or practise with the little 1x12 i plug it into my car stereo (modest, sony head unit powering a pair of 2-way 6" in the back via the front output, rear output (full-range) going into the cab). in a tiny Fiat 850 coupe it pumps ridiculously loud! :D