Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Guitar body, convert to bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jammadave, Nov 12, 2003.

1. jammadave

jammadave Rudderless ship Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    I own a git-stick but don't play it anymore. I love it so much, though, that if I can make it a bass, I would do so in a second.

It's a Lindert Twister-T, so it doesn't have a wood body that can be routed or redrilled at will for new stuff - can one turn this 25.5" scale guitar into a 34" scale bass by getting a right-sized neck, bridge, and pickups?

2. SMG

SMG Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2000
    metro Detroit
    Is it possible? Yes.

What you would have to do is find a luthier to make you a neck that was long enough so that the nut was 34" from the bridge and fit into your neck pocket. This may demand a neck that 28, 30, or more frets. The second concern would be whether or not you expand the neck pocket. a neck could be made to fit the existing pocket if whoever was making the neck wanted to plane the heel of the neck down to size. If you can get all of this done, then you have to find a bridge that will somehow fit where yours is. I don't know what the bridge on your guitar looks like in order to make a recommendation. Same goes for the pickups. Of course, all of this may take quite a bit of money as you will need to have at minimum a custom neck made. Up to you to decide if 1) you really want to destroy the guitar you have, and 2) whether or not the expense of doing all of this is worth it to you.

Steve