guitar body for bass?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by hamerexplorer, Dec 31, 2005.

1. hamerexplorer

Dec 31, 2005
    allright, heres what i want to do...

i want to get a randy rhoads body (they pop up all the time on ebay) and a bass neck ....and slap a bass bridge and all that good stuff....

how would i go about doing that... is it possible?..

2. nasaldischarges

Jun 11, 2005
    im no expert... but what about the pickups? there'd be guitar humbucker slots routed in
  3. hamerexplorer

Dec 31, 2005
    well its just can always just make it bigger to fit bass pickups...

im no expert either... im 16... so im looking for any advice anyone has for me...

and maybe some info on how to go about setting up the truss rod with the body...
  4. Son of Magni

Son of Magni

May 10, 2005
    Builder: ThorBass
    You might try searching the archives at (am I allowed to say that?). I bet there's someone there that has done something like this.
  5. hamerexplorer

Dec 31, 2005
    couldnt find anything that talked about making a guitar into a bass....thanks tho... creative people on that place
  6. You will need to check if the bridge can be placed in the proper position. The distance from the nut and 12th fret will need to be the same as the 12th fret to the bridge saddles.
  7. Hookus

Oct 2, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Well, checking the distance for the bridge really won't matter, since you would have to make a neck anyway, I don't think you will find a readily available neck that will fit the pocket, and am not sure how much wood will be left if you re-rout the body. You just build a neck that positions the 12th fret in approximately the right spot. It would just end up having more frets, or a shorter scale. This would sound like a prime candidate for a short scale bass.
  8. You would have to rout out the neck pocket so it would fit. And still it might be hard to intonate with the bridge placement.
  9. especially given the size of the body. if you look at a standard flying v bass, the bridge is anchored right at the end of the main body mass, right before it splits. the sharkfin bodies are even smaller, yeah? and being a guitar body it will probably be smaller still, so i doubt you'd be able to make it work without a custom body. which is a pity, cos it could be pretty cool...
  10. hamerexplorer

Dec 31, 2005
    yeah....a randy rhads style bass would rule...theres only one person that i know of that has one and thats the bassist from Kreator....