1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Featured Guitar Building 4.0: BITE Guitars Revolutionizes the Custom Bass

Discussion in 'News & PR' started by TalkBass, Sep 18, 2019.

1. TalkBass

TalkBass News Poster

Mar 12, 2004
    Austrian manufacturing startup BITE Guitars offers an entirely new approach to the custom bass through guitar building 4.0. This predominantly digitalized manufacturing method allows for high-quality individualization with short lead times. BITE's high-performance online configurator offers over 1bn different custom configurations under 1,000 euros (1,100$). It will take you less than a minute to breeze through the 16 configuration steps to your dream bass.

BITE's proprietary single and split coil pickups generate a record 1,000 millivolt output with pure passive technology. BITE custom basses are built with US alder bodies and hard maple necks. BITE Guitars consciously does without any tropical wood, they use steamed acacia (black locust) from the Vienna Woods instead of rosewood for fretboards. Configurator choices also include body art ornaments, individual pickup positioning and easy-to-modify solderless wiring.

BITE Guitars is a so-called DTC brand (direct-to-consumer), meaning basses can be ordered directly on www.bite.guitars and are shipped directly from Vienna, Austria, to buyers worldwide, generally within a month. BITE Guitars will for the first time exhibit at the Mannheim Guitar Summit 2019 and BITE founder Wolfgang Maderthaner will hold a workshop on Sunday, September 29, at 11:45, about sound shaping through pickup modifications (in German).

Queries: hello@bite.guitars

black-white-steampunk-1024x410. white-pb-1024x410. pictures-10-1024x576. pictures-6-1024x576. psycho-1024x410.

rtav, jamro217, Novarocker and 5 others like this.
  2. CyberSnyder

CyberSnyder Gold Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Maryland
    I Endorse Alien Audio Basses
    Please consider a different headstock and pickups without printing.

*ToNeS*, aledeville, Ric5 and 31 others like this.
  3. Those maybe some of the option you can choose or not :)
    BITE Custom Bass Configurator

wintremute likes this.
  4. Eminor3rd

Eminor3rd BLAAAAARRGGHH!!

Feb 10, 2008
    NYC
    You can have anything you want!

As long as you want a four-string Fender clone!

5. I don't see any 3 tone sunburst tort models, what kind of custom shop is this? :D

6. superheavyfunk

superheavyfunk 音楽は人生だ

Mar 11, 2013
    Toronto
    No choice on the (terribly ugly) headstock. Everything else seems cool though - I like that you can choose the position of the pickups.

comatosedragon, andruca and DJ Bebop like this.
  7. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Yeah- I would say their definition of custom is extremely narrow based on the current available options.

8. BIGEJ2

BIGEJ2 Supporting Member

Jul 29, 2009
    Happy Valley, PA
    Meh.

9. I don't like to partypoop on an announcement, but I got quite excited and already deducting €1000 from my current a/c.

No left-handed. P or J body. P or J (4string) pups. A 4string neck (right-handed, 'matter of taste' h/stock). Some stratchplate and hardware choices.

my €1000 is sadly placed back in its 0.2% interest earning a/c. The only upside is that their "swimming pool" universal pup rout and "alder - it makes no difference" has Ed Roman spinning like a top.

10. Wfrance3

Wfrance3 Supporting Member

May 29, 2014
    Tulsa, OK
    Very nice. Agree on the headstock. I get that you can’t be a fender offender, but that graphic makes the bass look like it should be lumped in with the First Act bass you might find at Wal-Mart...

jamro217, allenhumble, 60bass and 6 others like this.
  11. Gizmot

Gizmot

Mar 22, 2009
    Nashville area
    I decided to take a look at these for one reason: The Austrians make very few bad products and they know what truly sounds good.

I have some bass playing friends in Vienna - and I'm going to see what the word on the street is over there.

12. Get back to us! :)

Gizmot likes this.
  13. agent19 and Ghook like this.
  14. bench

bench

Dec 28, 2007
    Germany
    i actually like the headstock, but business wise it´s not a clever decision if you cater to traditionalists. and if they don´t give you the option of a black pickup cover they´re doomed... still interested to hear one ;)

jamro217 and DJ Bebop like this.
  15. andruca

andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    My feelings are mixed. I like the kind of offer (suposedly good materials, good customization, etc.). I don't like the headstock at all (and that can't be changed) and I don't like they're not offering 5ers, which is a basic thing these days (a reverse P+J 5er would get me interested). Interest could be further fueled by lowering those prices a little, because at 200-300€ more than those 1000€ you could afford a Maruszczyk built to your exact specs (across a much wider palette, on anything from woods to electronics).

16. Kyuuga

Kyuuga

Jan 5, 2018
    Really nice idea but what the hell is up with those design's? They look awfully childish.

Change the headstock, take the logo out of the pickups, offer better body colours (seriously enough with the bursts/blacks/whites, we want cool colours) and maybe you'll have a decent shop.

Loved the way you can choose the pickup location/etc but add more options (humbuckers, soapbars). Enough with the P or J configurations.

DJ Bebop likes this.
  17. Kriegs

Kriegs Peace

Feb 14, 2018
    MA/ RI area
    I'd have already hit the buy button on this configuration if it weren't for the UGLY graphics on the pups and the ridiculously out of place headstock logo that looks like it was an accidentally placed before they made the cutout :mad: (yes, I get the inference... someone took a BITE out of the headstock... )
    Give the option of black pups, and fix the headstock logo and I'm in!!! Throw in a matching headstock and I'd really :drool:
    upload_2019-9-19_13-56-58.

hmmm.. maybe a set of Geezer Butler EMGS..... [​IMG]

Gabbs and DJ Bebop like this.
  18. Jehos

Jehos Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2006
    DFW, TX
    Seems like I could buy a knockoff P and some stickers for less than that...

jamro217 and DJ Bebop like this.
  19. DDXdesign

DDXdesign formerly 'jammadave' Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    Admittedly I do like the steampunk P, but I would spray the pickup covers a solid color and cut down the headstock - I wouldn't even mind the headstock shape if it wasn't 50% wasted space beyond the tuners!

DJ Bebop and miljoneir like this.
  20. DDXdesign

DDXdesign formerly 'jammadave' Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    Messin around with it just now I somehow really dig this. it's groovy, man. Needs some death metal to play.

whitebite.

Kriegs and DJ Bebop like this.