guitar buyer

Discussion in 'Ask Steve Lawson & Michael Manring' started by bassman400, Oct 28, 2002.

1. bassman400

bassman400 Guest

Oct 28, 2002
    i am looking into getting a bass and playing. i'm interested in getting a 5 string instead of a 4. is it a good idea for a begginer to get a 5 instead of a 4? i was looking at the Squier MB5, would that be a good choice for me? thanks
  2. CS

Dec 11, 1999
    I'm going to break forum etiquette here as Steve is touring supporting Level 42 and Michael Manring is possibly very busy.

If you feel that you will be buying a 4 string to learn on when you really want a 5 then buy the 5. If you think that 4 is 'easier' then you may be in four (sic) a suprise. Some players use the B string to play up the neck making one finger per fret method easier. However Steve's method is to keep the hand at rest and use the little finger to do this. I digress.

I always recommend buying a Fender Mim (mexico) jazz or precision secondhand from a shop for reasons too numerous to mention at 23.30 GMT. There is a Deluxe J 5er but some players think the B is floppy (and thats a problem many 5's have).

Try a load of basses in your local shop and see what you like. NB Squier basses are very good value for money but many players trade up at a later date. Why not trade up now and cut out a step.
  3. chris griffiths

chris griffiths

Aug 20, 2002
    nashville tn
    Endorsing artist: Gallien Krueger
    check out godin basses their very nice even in the lower price brackets. I'd start on 4 because your playing will be more melodical when you make the switch you'll have more vertical facility on the bass.