Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

guitar cab bass head

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by fdiaz05, Apr 17, 2003.

1. fdiaz05

fdiaz05

Oct 24, 2002
    i went through the recycler for a setof amps for cheap and thats what i found...a peavey mark iv 1982 head a cab 4x12...i'm just wondering how good will that hold up sincethe cab is for guitar..i mean it sounds fine but what should i worry about? besides it blowing out

2. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    You will damage the speakers.

Crap man, order some bass speakers for it, then you got it made.

3. fdiaz05

fdiaz05

Oct 24, 2002
    i'm not really concerned about the 4 x12's that much i just want it to hold up long enough for me to get a 4x10 cab but yea for 250 bucks it's a steal (thats how much i got the mark iv bass head and the peavey 4x12 cab for)

4. Cut the lows below 80Hz and your chances to blow the speaker will be alot lower

5. Get some 16 ohm Eminence Delta 12" bass speakers from Parts Express and stick those in there, then don't bother buying the 4x10. (As long as the 4x12 cab is sealed back, if it's open back fuggetaboutit)

6. slacker

slacker

Nov 27, 2001
    Portland Oregon
    This may be a long shot, but Peavey did make a 4x12 specifically for bass back in the 70's or 80's. Not to be confused with the newer 412TVX. It was a "straight" cabinet, a little deeper than your average guitar 4x12. The model number escapes me at the moment.

The easiest way to tell it from a guitar unit of the same vintage is to look at the speaker dust covers. Peavey's guitar speakers, in those years, often had tiny little coils, and tiny little dust covers to match. I'm talking small like a half dollar or even smaller. The bass 4x12 had beefier speakers with heavier coils and a dust cover about 2.5" or so in diameter.

Just though I might bring this point up. I just stumbled upon my first older Peavey bass 4x12 a few months ago. Not a bad cabinet for cheap.

They also made an 8x10 way back when, believe it or not.

7. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    I played in a local shelter's basement a couple practices with a guy - they had an old guitar amp down there, a 4x12 - it kicked for guitar, but I could just BARELY get heard. Then they picked up a yorkville 12" keyboard combo for like $50 and it kicked the guitar amp's ass...

so the moral of the story is, don't waste your $250 damn it! there's a lot more out there to be had for $250 than a guitar amp.

8. The mark iv head should have plenty of oomph, so I would say the fault is the cab, not the head. Perhaps a couple of speakers in the cab have already fried.

I've got am old Peavey head from the mid 70's (pre-dates the Mark series) and it's quite acceptable, I carry it as a backup head sometimes.

9. rockbassist1087

rockbassist1087 Guest

Nov 29, 2002
    Long Island, NY
    I would replace the speakers. I use 10 inch speakers, but I know some people around here who rave about using 12 inch speakers. See whether you like 12 inch speakers or 10 inch speakers, then go from there.

10. fdiaz05

fdiaz05

Oct 24, 2002
    ok first off i got the head and the cab for 250 bucks!! and it works fine right now.the head alone is worth that much..it's very very loud!! but i can't get the lows i want and i figure it's cuz it's a guitar cab allegedly...it's a 412f cab...it gets the job done so far...i'm looking to pick up a peavey 4x10 cab...but should i worry about the head frying on me or anything...like i said i don't really care about the cab as long as it gets the job done for now

11. I don't think you have to worry about the head frying.

12. fdiaz05

fdiaz05

Oct 24, 2002
    just the cab...but wouldn't 4 x12's be able to handle it. seeing as how it's a closed back

13. Guitar speakers are built differently than those for bass, size doesn't matter (hehe).

Guitar speakers are not designed to reproduce low frequencies which is why it doesn't sound right, and also why you'd be in danger of blowing them.

14. fdiaz05

fdiaz05

Oct 24, 2002
    i see...well i think i'ma have to crank it then!!! for the good of the band!!!! woot woot!!