Guitar Cabinets?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by metallicarules, Nov 18, 2002.

1. Christmas is coming up, and a friend of mine who plays guitar was hoping to get a new speaker cabinet from his girlfriend. Today she asked me to help her shop around for some used equipment because I have some knowledge of cabinets, albeit limited.
    I have a pretty good idea of what to look for, I just thought I'd ask around here if there are any specific things I should look for in used equipment, any specific models to avoid, what cabinets might play best with his particular head (100 watt marshall), etc...?

Any input would be appreciated, thanks.
  2. Captain Awesome

Captain Awesome

Apr 2, 2001
    Anything that looks cool.

Seriously though, he'd want something that works, is solid, has good speakers, and is a good deal compared to the new price. You might also want to check out Avatar guitar cabs ( ), they have the same speakers that the more expensive cabs do (you can select from a bunch), but they charge less than a typical used price for big brand cabs. AFAIK, everyone who's reviewed them on Harmony Central likes them a lot.
  3. PICK

Jan 27, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    Every guitarist i have ever played with ran a marshall head into marshall cabinets. They sound good to me and they dont cost the earth.
  4. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    I agree with Marshall cabinets.
  5. My daughter plays on a Marshall 1985 JCM 800 head, and Marshall half-stack. The head is 5 months older than she is, and the cabinet is unknown.

I got the cabinet from a pawn shop, and it appears to be brand new. It sounds like a Marshall. All the way.

Aroarah Link
  6. The Marshall 1960 4x12 slant cab. To use anything else with a Marshall head would be blasphemy :)
  7. I'll definately second that
  8. flacko

Dec 6, 2001
    Surrey , UK
    A 6 Watt valve amp that will distort nicely at 10 (or 11) and keep everbody happy with it's low SPL.

It will sound great without blowing the rest of the bands inner ear into their lap.

Don't suppose the speaker matters as long as it's rated at a wattage 50 per cent lower than the amp.
  9. Thanks for the input so far guys.
    What would be good price for a good 4x12 (specify American or Canadian $ please)?
    Ideally I'd like to find a 4x12 marshall slant cab, but she only has $400 to spend (Canadian) so I think that might be pushing it. I've seen some pretty good deals on carvin and crate 4x12s, but I don't know if these will give him the "crunch" he is looking for with a marshall head and BC rich guitars. Of course, I'll be testing the cabs beforehand so judging tone shouldn't be too much of a problem, but does anyone know of any other issues with crate and carvin cabs, such as reliability?
  10. A good place to go for more ideas and opinions is Harmony Central. Steer clear of the "Guitar" forum and head straight for the "Amps" forum. The Guitar forum is totally populated by mutants and I don't think you'd get a straight answer there. The Amps forum is a little more civilized.
  11. TxBass

Jul 3, 2002
    Frisco, Texas
    HILARIOUS! I needed a good laugh this afternoon!:D :D

but what should we expect out of a bunch of guitar players??
  12. That is wonderful advice.

This is the reason I got the 2203 50w Marshall for my daughter instead of the 100w head. 50w will hurt people, but 100w will destroy the reproductive systems of small children within a blocks' radius.