1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Guitar Cables

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by janmichaeltorio, Mar 27, 2015.

1. Hi!

Does guitar cables are the same? I have this Monster Cables and it says "Ultra-clear Jazz Guitar cable". I wonder if it's made for electric guitars only, not for basses. (I have an sx jazz bass) Also, can you give me suggestions or advice on what cables performs best?

Thanks TB!!

-jan

2. SHOOTOUT!

SHOOTOUT!

Feb 15, 2015
    Shootout Guitar Cables UK
    Hi Jan,
    Many pages of cable explanation here regarding capacitance, shielding, plating etc.

Best Guitar Cables Explained

With passive pickups the cable before the first pedal or the amp acts as a fixed tone control basically due to high output impedance inductive pickups and capacitance. High capacitance moves the high end roll off and peak frequency down the frequency spectrum.

Hope this helps!

Cheers,

Marc, Director
    Shootout Guitar Cables, UK

3. Thank you so much!! :hyper::bassist:

4. el murdoque

el murdoque

Mar 10, 2013
    Germany
    On a passive bass, you might be able to spot a difference between a really cheap cable and a really good one. With high end equipment and really good ears.
    As soon as the first preamp is met, a cable is just a cable. So on an active bass there is no difference.

5. Ooohhh. Okay, thank you! :)

6. Some more thoughts on cables, from someone who knows what's what*, can be found here and here.

--------------------

*not that I'm suggesting that SHOOTOUT! doesn't know what he's talking about