Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Guitar Center Acquires Gibson?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by pyrohr, Sep 12, 2004.

1. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    I don't know if it is true but I have been told by my buddy at Sam Ash that G.C. has acquired the right's to Gibson guitars. This means only G.C. will be able to sell Gibsons. Has anybody else heard this? I don't care for Gibson basses but like their g**tars and I think it would be ashame to limit the sales of that product to G.C. exclusively.

2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    If GC owns Gibson, where is the wisdom in eliminating all the sales by other vendors? More guitar sales=more profit. Even if this is true, I'd be very surprised to see Gibson sales limited to GC.

3. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    from what i've gleaned from guitar message boards, sam ash is currently at odds with gibson. ...for some reason.

and gibson is on a streak of ticking off everybody.

that said, i sincerely doubt that GC bought out gibson. i think it's just that they are one of the exclusive group of sellers that can still sell gibsons over the internet. or some crap like that.

4. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    I don't get it either, While ordering a bass from Fender at Sam Ash my buddy told me they will no longer be getting in gibson guitars and that was the reason. I will find out more (i'll ask the manager) when I go to pick up my FMT 5. Another reason could be to sqeeze the competition out of the market, to make the competitions bottom line and profits smaller thus giving themselves a bigger market share.

5. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    The guy at Sam Ash is full of crap. GC has not bought out Gibson, but Gibson is doing their best to make sure no one else can afford to be a Gibson dealer.

The current buy-in to be Gibson dealer is $150,000--per store. And, then, the yearly buy in is $90,000. And, Gibson dealers are no longer allowed to offer their new instruments online.

So, basically, Guitar Center is going to be one of the few places that can afford to be a Gibson dealer, but that's about it.

6. fivestringdan

fivestringdan Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2001
    Little Rock, AR
    Yeap, heard the same thing from a friend of mine at a local store. Gibson sent them a letter telling them if they want to keep their dealership then they HAD to order 150K worth of gibson instruments. They even included a list of what guitars they had to buy!!! What a load of crap!

7. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Right now, I wouldn't put it past Gibson to restrict all sales to a single farm in southern Texas, that was surrounded by a 40 foot concrete wall with armed guards and barbed wire at the top. Anyone who actually had to buy a guitar either had to force their way in, or sneak in over the wall, through the moat, around the three headed dog, and into the belly of the beast. And once you get in, the basses in stock are not for sale, because they're used to fuel the furnace that cooks the food for all of the guards.

8. Joey3313

Joey3313

Nov 28, 2003
    Wow.

9. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    GC not only just bought out Gibson, but also Mesa/Boogie, as well as the rights to using any images of the easter bunny, and just bought up tons of commercial space on the moon for future stores. :eyebrow:

10. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    hey, you work for mesa boogie!

he MUST be telling the truth! :eek: