Guitar Center and all those other chain stores

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by gallienkrueger, Oct 10, 2002.

1. is anyone ever get tired of those stores doing their "monster sales" or their "once and a lifetime sales"? it hink its pretty annoying, noone ever buys stuff, and everyone tells me every week after they hear the commerical for guitar centers "MONSTER SALE, the companies need us to send back whatever we dont sell". they ask me if im going i say no, one, there is no guitar center near or in Albany, and two if i miss it this weekend ill just goto next weekends monster sale where i can get a squier pbass for 75 dollars. one other thing, why are these places ripoffs?? until the sale is 100 percent off on EVERYTHING(and i mean everything) i will not go.
  2. Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    No Bogus Endorsements
    I get fantastic deals at Guitar Center's "List Sales."

Brand new Fender HRPB in ash for $499.99, a brand new Ampeg SVT-350H for $289.99, etc. I've bought a whole lot of guitar stuff at equal discounts - about 2/3 off list, or more.
  3. NukeBass

Jul 8, 2000
    Cornelius, NC
    From what I've seen their prices are usually pretty competitive. Their stock tends to be a bit abused (especially the equipment actually on the floor) from people coming in and beating on their stuff all day, but that is standard for a guitar store. I like Guitar Center better than Mars, but that may just be a local phenomenon.

Monster sales are the result of large quantities and lots of over head costs, I'm assuming. They remind me of car dealerships :)

One thing I don't care much for is the way they say 70-80% off and they are referring to list price. They should give percentage off of their normal sales price instead of list. That would give me a better idea of the deal they are running.

Just my thoughts...
  4. like i siad, unless they are taking 110 percent off everything i wont go in there and buy it.
  5. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    So don't go then.:rolleyes:

Wrong forum, moved.
  6. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    On any of their regular stock, the "Monster Sale Price" is always more than I pay anyway. I HAVE gotten some excellent deals on stuff they're blowing out. $30 for a Yamaha NE-1, $15 for an Eden cover for my D-410XLT, $299 for a Neumann KMS-105, $199 for an AKG C-4000B, etc, etc.
  7. They had a big Labor Day sale at GC. I mean big. 2 GK 2x10 cabs for $300. They had a Warwick Steamer bolt-on for $289. Got there way too late for that one.:rolleyes:
  8. rojo412

rojo412 MARK IT ZERO! Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    The point of those sales is to get people to come in and feed off the junk that has been damaged or discontinued. Some is once in a lifetime, but it's either used and never sold or slightly dinged and works fine.

As for the goodies that are cheap... GC still makes out... The NE1s we had cost the store $10 each because we ran a Yamaha promo that month.

They'll have these sales every month. The best thing to try for is A) used gear that's been hanging around for a long time, B) something NOS that just keeps getting cheaper, or C) something that you scratched with a belt buckle that works fine and needs to get out.

BUT REMEMBER! Like in Vegas, no matter if you win or lose, the house always wins.
  9. LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    You know I've never been to a large chain music store in my life. Around here, we all have privatley owned stores. The largest "chain" we have, has like, 3 branches I believe. I've always wanted to go to a Mars or GC, since they seem to have a larger stock. Most of my local music stores stock for amps includes, Peavey, Fender, Ampeg, Marshal, and Crate. For basses, it's pretty much Fender, Ibanez, Washburn, and Epiphone. You'll see the ocasional Tobias or Rickenbacker, but you're pretty much limited to those brands.