Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Guitar Center and trades

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by slowburnaz, Aug 29, 2002.

1. slowburnaz

slowburnaz

Mar 27, 2002
    Tucson, AZ
    Does anyone here have any experience trading instruments with Guitar Center?

I'm looking to make a trade with them... I want to trade my bass in toward a Pedulla Rapture J2 bass that they've had on the wall since the place opened. The price is still at $2300!, yet the action is so damn high now, thanks to sitting on the wall forever without a setup. Also, the frets are a little rough along both edges of the neck (probably due to neck shrinkage... AZ is VERY hot and dry).
    I figure I can get the price down quite a bit considering these factors.

What do you guys think? And what do you think I can get them down to?

I figure that the bass should almost be considered used (or at least a demo model), based on how long it's been on the wall, and how many people have potentially played it.

2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I will guarantee you that there is no way that Guitar Center will consider that Rapture used, even if it is beat up.

If it is a standard Rapture J2 or PJ, you should be able to get them down to $1800-$1900. If you are a really good negotiator, you might get it closer to $1500. If it is a Rapture 2000, the one with the flamed maple body, you won't get it for much less than it is tagged for.

As far as trading a bass in, you will get ripped off. It's best to keep it, or sell it.

If you really want to trade it in, here is how it will go.

I am assuming it is that Ibanez SR800 in your profile.

Those go for between $550 - $625 new, depending on the deal you get. They routinely sell used on Ebay for between $225 - $325, depending on condition. Guitar Center is going to low ball you. Count on it. They will guess that they can get $300 if the bass is in good shape, but they will bid as if they can only get $200 for it. They are only going to give you half of what they can sell it for. Best case, if they are overly generous, you might get $175 for it. But more likely $100. And any extra you get on the trade is going to come off of the best deal you can make on the new bass. Count on that, too.

Good luck!

3. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    It is generally not a smart idea to trade a bass in at a guitar store (i don't know about stores like bass central, bass northwest, etc. though.) I know most (if not all) won't be reasonable in how much they will offer. Also, with pedulla's resale, i'd get one that is officially used. I'm not sure how much the J2s go for on the used market (i'm thinking around $1000-1400, but i'm probably way off.) I've seen buzzes go from $750-1500, which is tons less than what they cost new.

4. slowburnaz

slowburnaz

Mar 27, 2002
    Tucson, AZ
    Well, the bass I'm thinking of trading in is my Clover Bass-Tard 5 string. I should be able to get a good price on it... but who knows. I may have to end up financing it and selling the Clover outright.

5. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Jeff's right. GC is going to give you no more than half what they think they can sell it for. That translates to less than half of what you think it's worth. The only way I'd sell something to GC is if I was a heroin addict in need of a fix. (I'm not, and I'm not.)

Sell The Bass-Tridge to someone, then go deal on the Pedulla. You should be able to get it for $1500.

6. embellisher

I'll trade my Rapture J2 5 for your Clover. What color is it?

7. slowburnaz

slowburnaz

Mar 27, 2002
    Tucson, AZ
    Here are some pics of my Clover...

Do you have any pics of your Rapture J2?

8. yeah, GC won't give you anything for that. I hadn't heard of Clover, so I'm sure they haven't, and kids that want to be Fieldy will definitely not have heard of Clover, so GC will think they can get, maybe, $200 out of it.

9. embellisher

I have some poor quality pictures of my Rapture. Here they are.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. embellisher

If this gets serious, we will take it to PM or email. But, for now, what kind of pickups and preamp does the Clover have? It has a graphite composite neck, made by Status, correct? Is it a 35" scale?

My Rapture has the Bartolini 2 band preamp, and of course Bartolini J pickups. It has the upgraded birdseye maple fingerboard, and the upgraded 19mm bridge string spacing.

Oh yeah. What is the bridge string spacing on the Clover?

11. slowburnaz

slowburnaz

Mar 27, 2002
    Tucson, AZ
    The bridge spacing on the Clover is 3/4". It is a composite neck, but I'm not sure if Status made it or not. It's a 36" scale neck (the B string is amazing). The pickups and preamp are Delano, Clover's own brand, I believe (the pickups are definitely Delano, I'm assuming the preamp is Delano, too. It's a 3-band preamp, with a push/pull defeat switch in the volume knob. The JJ pickup is switchable from series, parallel, bridge-side single coil.)

How's the fret wear on the Rapture, and what year is it?

12. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Too true. Zero name recognition at retailers in the US. I'm fairly tight with my local GC and they couldn't make me a reasonable offer for my Bass Tard 5, which was a very nice bass.

13. embellisher

The Rapture his very little fret wear, none that I can see. I bought it in 2000, brand new, from Guitar Center in Plano, Texas. They got it in the store 2 days before I bought it.

36" scale? That might be too much for my little mitts.:( Have you verified that with measurements? Silly of me to ask, I know.

14. slowburnaz

slowburnaz

Mar 27, 2002
    Tucson, AZ
    Yeah, it's definitely 36" (18 inches to the 12th fret from the nut).

I thought it would be a bit much for me, too, but I got used to it very quickly.

15. embellisher

Well, I play a 35" 6 string(Peavey Cirrus) and even though it has a very slender neck, it caused me some pain for the first few months that I played it. I know it was the scale length, because the Pedulla's neck is quite a bit chunkier, and just as wide, but has never bothered me for a second.

16. slowburnaz

slowburnaz

Mar 27, 2002
    Tucson, AZ
    As Darrin Huff explained to me once, imagine this:

Place your first finger on the nut of a 34" scale bass, and put your pinky on the 3rd fret. That stretch is the same as going from the 1st fret to the 4th fret with the same fingers on a 36" scale bass. It just so happens that the distance from the nut to the first fret on a 36" scale bass is almost exactly 2 inches.

17. embellisher

Couple of more questions. Do you have a case for the Clover? Why are you selling it? Why are you interested in a Rapture?

I have a Pedulla hardcase for the Rapture, and of course if I were to trade the Rapture, I would no longer need the case.;)

18. slowburnaz

slowburnaz

Mar 27, 2002
    Tucson, AZ
    As for a case, no, I don't have one but I could get you a gig bag or case for it, no problem.

I'm looking to sell the Clover because I fell in love with the sound of the Rapture J2 at the local GC. The Clover has a great sound, obviously, but I'm really fond of that old school jazz bass tone, which the Rapture has. I love those Bartolini Js! :) The Clover has more of "modern" sound. I also think the Rapture would work better with my band, as far as tone goes.

19. embellisher