Guitar Center - Anyone ever done this?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by lookjojoisplaid, Feb 26, 2006.

1. lookjojoisplaid

Oct 17, 2005
    San Diego
    So anyone ever gone into guitar center bought a bunch of bass equipment for a show so that they would have decent equipment for the show, and then returned it all after the show because you really cant be spending all that money right now???
  2. Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    Yup. But I have a friend on the 'inside'. He rang it and returned it so the sales geeks wouldn't get dinged on their commissions. It was only for one show when my rig was in the shop, so it was an emergency.

P.S.- he was the guitar player on that gig.
  3. I'm sure people have done it, but certainly no one I would admire.
  4. AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    With a 30 day return policy, I'm sure it's been done many times. Your not hurting GC any, but the poor guy helping you out when he could be earning some money to pay bills might get stung.
  5. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA

and all the more reason i dont buy anything new there, cause i'm sure they've been around the block a few times.
  6. D.A.R.K.

Aug 20, 2003
    what's also unethical is that gc will try to sell stuff that's been used and returned, repaired, or abused on the sales floor as new.
  7. Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Doesn't make either one right though.
  8. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Anything out of the box is not new. If you buy it as such, that's your fault.
  9. AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    GC gets kicked around a lot, but the fact is, a lot of use would not have the instruments we have now even if we didn't get them there. They drove down the prices and brought in the selection that created the current market conditions. Like it or not, if it wasn't for them, we'd be paying more with less to choose from.
  10. D.A.R.K.

Aug 20, 2003
    i didn't say it did.
  11. D.A.R.K.

Aug 20, 2003
    but people who don't know that can get taken advantage of(inexperienced musical equipment buyers)
  12. Ben Clarke

Ben Clarke Liquidating to fund a new business. Buy My Gear!

Jan 6, 2005
    Western NY
    Enh... I don't know about that. The MI business was cutthroat long before GC got its dirty little mitts on it, and I don't think there's been a big impact on prices or selection, at least in the Buffalo market. They have muddied the water in Pro Audio, though, as they are a "local" source for the Behringers of the world...

They do enough right as a company to make money, but I still can't decide if the place is more like a slaughterhouse or a whorehouse.
  13. D.A.R.K.

Aug 20, 2003
    in my area, mars and gc actually had the opposite effect.
    we lost alot of amazing music shops, some large and some mom n' pop,
    lost our educated and reasonable customer service,
    and basic instrument prices at gc are inflated in comparison
    because there is no competition. but that's just my area (metro washington d.c.)
  14. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I haven't. But WOULD I? Maybe depending on the situation.

If mine's in the shop, maybe. Their return policy is lenient and I think somehow they intend for this to happen, where people intend to return it and end up loving the gear and keeping it?

Who knows.
  15. AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    I just moved here, I basing it on So. Calif. I first started going there in the mid 70's so they are not exactly new comers. They drove some out and some down. But they have been the benchmark there for a long time.
  16. Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Cool, just not sure what other inference you wanted people to draw given the topic of the thread was not about GC's behaviour but the behaviour of the customer.
  17. AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    I have seen some areas where a company will initially drop prices, run out the competition and then jack them up. My experience both here and in So. Calif. has not been that way. I haven't bought anything except Monster Cables priced as marked in many years. I've had good salesmen with good Customer Service there though it may be hard to find. They have been there since at least the 70's and the only music stores left are the ones with the volume to compete. Mom and Pop are gone and you have to get lessons from individuals.
    Here we still have Mom and Pop, but if they didn't give lessons and it wasn't 1 1/2 hrs to GC, they'd be in trouble.
  18. ArwinH

ArwinH run rabbit run

Dec 1, 2005
    Southern California
    Well, once upon a time a gig was booked for my main band while we were also doing time in teh studio. The singer said he would go out and pick up my rig from the studio, since I was busy. I show up at a rehearsal and he pulls the whole innocent playing dumb thing and then accusses me. I was stuck between a rock and a hardplace, I had another cab I could use but I had no way of getting my head since the engineer was out of town.

I had to go down and buy a head from gc knowing I'd have to return it after the show. I did treat it super well and kept it in a case at all times until it hit the stage. Still, I felt like a douche that day and If I could I'd do anything to make it up to whoever bought that rig.

P.S. No rental's near, and no time to contact a friend with a rig.
    Never trust singers.