Guitar Center B.S.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jazz Hands, Dec 29, 2007.

1. Jazz Hands

Jazz Hands

Dec 16, 2007
    Kinda like I assumed the guitar would come w/ a working truss rod. :D

2. You need to reach out to the VP himself, write a letter. I was tired of getting bad service from all the GC stores in my area. I had gotten this 15% off letter signed by the VP himself. I wrote a huge 3 page lettersaying how I'll never buy there ever again. I also complained about one mgr in particular who was a total a$$ to me. Anyway, I thought the letter wasn't going to accomplish anything. Well a month later, I got a call from the district manager, I told him everything. He asked me what I was looking for the last time I was there and recieved terrible service. I told him I wanted to buy an ampeg 4x10 but had to be made in america, they had a used one in upstate new york, he said I could have it for free. He had the manager from the White PLains store bring it to the GC closest to me. The next day I went there, not only did I walk out of there with a new ampeg 4x10 cab but I also got an apology from that manager who was a scumbag to me. Boy, did that feel good. So now I throw them a bone every now and then and buy strings and picks there.

3. BellBottomBlues

BellBottomBlues

Feb 21, 2007
    New York
    Endorser:Fender User:Rotosound, LaBella, Ashdown, Lindy Fralin
    Since the mid 90's (96) Fender has a lifetime warranty on the necks, so they'll most likely send you a new one free of charge. Have you tried emailing Fender?

4. Shovelbone

Shovelbone Gold Supporting Member

Oct 18, 2007
    Yonderville Georgia
    You have to understand that the bozo's at GC just take the guitars out of the boxes and hang them up on the wall for sale. They never QC anything that comes into the store from the manufacturer. I have had two seperate experiences with Jazz basses that each had stripped or inoperable truss rods in them. It is very rare to find someone at a GC that I would classify as a luthier or acceptable at doing repairs and each time that I approached the 'Guitar Center Guitar Tech' about the problem(s) that I had encountered with the two above mentioned basses they both admitted that they rarely check anything that comes in. They just take them out of the boxes, do a half ass tune job and hand them on the wall and sit back and wait to make a sale!
    I realize that this is my opinion but taking a guitar to Guitar Center for any repair or adjustments is like taking your car to Dunkin Doughnuts for a tune up!

5. CraigG

CraigG

Mar 14, 2006
    Mechanicsburg, PA
    Hmm. What I have seen/experienced with employees at the GC's within driving distance of where I live, I would never trust them to set up a bass for me. Of course, my experiences at GC have always left a bad taste in my mouth anyhow. I'm not a fan.

6. jwsamuel

jwsamuel

Apr 26, 2004
    There is usually a reason why some shops have a backlog and in most cases, it because there is a great demand for their services because they are good.

I'd be cautious of any shop -- no matter where it is -- that can get setups done quickly. It could be that they are not busy because they do not do good work.

Jim

7. Brad Maestas

Brad Maestas Sono est omnia Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 26, 2003
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    Luthier and Instrument Tech at Kala Brand Music Co.
    I manage my own stringed instrument repair service out of my apartment. I think it would be foolish to assume that a shop that's got a long wait is "good" because they're busy. Likewise, it would be silly to assume that a shop that doesn't have a long wait is crap because no one uses them. There is some truth in it but I try to avoid assuming things. Unless you actually know how they're running things, it's all speculation.

I will classify a shop as "good" not only by the work they do but also by their flexibility, friendliness and loyalty. Since a setup doesn't take more than an hour, usually about 30 mins. at most, I extend a reasonable rush service for my clients. Most of my clients are people I personally know and have built friendships with and I try to extend that same courtesy to strangers. If you need the instrument done right then and there, I will do it while you wait at no extra charge if I'm not too busy with other instruments in the queue. Obviously I don't want to push back my other client's work too much but being a one-man operation with relatively low volume, I can do this without problems. For working musicians, this is key and something I wish more shops did for me. The bigger shops usually won't extend anything more than their price sheet to their clients and I've been trying to offer something a bit more flexible and professional. It seems to be working since all the local studios and students use my service now instead of "trusting" GC or other bozos with their instruments.

8. Bassist4Life

Bassist4Life

Dec 17, 2004
    Buffalo, NY
    What does this mean exactly? Is the truss rod stuck because the neck is bending so much that it's binding it up? Does the neck need to be held straight with clamps before the rod can be adjusted? It might be as simple as that.

Joe

9. The first thing I do is to take my new basses to my setup tech. He runs his operation out of his home. He is very reputable and his turn around is no more than 2 days.

You are now in Fender warranty on that bad boy and they should take care of it no problem.

10. Vic Winters

Vic Winters Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Western NY
    It takes less time to set up a bass than it does to have your brakes worked on at a local shop. But you don't wait 2 weeks for a brake job do you?

Personally I don't think this is GC's fault. You bought a busted bass. You didn't notice it, you had it for a week before taking it to a shop, and you had no idea until the shop told you so. How is some GC employee supposed to know it was busted? They don't setup and test each instrument, effect pedal, mixer, amp and speaker that comes through their doors. Just like the people at Sears or Kaufmans don't go through each individual sweater they stock. Unless you can spot the damage, they assume everything is ok. Since the truss rod is inside the neck, and they're not tweaking them, they have no idea there is anything wrong with it. You obviously had no problem playing it in the store and at home for a week. You had 30 days to return it. And if you had returned it within the 30 days, they would have exchanged it right there on the spot. It's not their fault Fender made a bass with a bum tross rod, it's not their fault you bought said bass, it's not their fault you sat around and played said bass for a week before you decided to get it adjusted, it's not their fault the setup shop took friggin forever and went over GC's grace period of 30 days. If you want to be pissed at someone, be pissed at Fender, be pissed at the shop, be pissed at yourself. But don't get all upset at GC for unknowingly selling you a lemon.

Oh and I love how the Fender guy passed the buck back to GC and no one saw a problem with this. "Yea it's Fender's fault for making a bum neck, and we could replace like we should seeing as how it's Fender's fault, and is under Fender's warranty now, but why do that? Go piss and moan at the middle man for a replacement. I mean do you really want us to bolt a new neck to the body? That makes it refurbished!"

Yea cause bolting a new, working neck to the body is somehow takes away from the playability of the bass.

I hate it when people wrongly place the blame on them because it's the cool thing to do.

11. another thing about guitar center purchass is that they sell extended warranties. normally, i don't care for these. at GC, however, the extended warranty gives you 60 days to return the item instead of 30. and, if you do return it, they refund the cost of the extended warranty.

+1 on doing your own setup. not that hard to learn, and you'r more likely to get the setup you like.

12. Jazz Hands

Jazz Hands

Dec 16, 2007
    I don't really think it's cool to blame GC. What I think is GC is a distributor for Fender, I didn't buy direct from Fender, I bought this thru GC. GC made a profit on my sale & w/ the buyer-seller relationship they are now involved. As a customer "I expect" that the distributor who sells me a product (especially high dollar) will work w/ me to resolve any issues - but in this case they tried to wash their hands completely of the situation. Working thru the Fender dealer I would have ended up w/ a refurbished guitar that's 43 days old. . . . there is nothing you can say that would make me think this is fair from a customer perspective.:scowl:

13. Lowpro

Lowpro

Sep 25, 2006
    Birmingham, AL
    If you look on your receipt you're bound to a legal contract that states you only have 30 days to return the item. What you don't know is that most employees aren't allowed to return a product past 30 days. ESPECIALLY with damage to any guitars neck. They don't cover it. No argument. They didn't try to wash their hands, you washed it for em.

The manager who did take it back however went way out of his way, unless he's the store manager =P

Be grateful. As for broken truss rod, most everyone on this forum who calls himself a bassist can't do a proper setup job, don't expect the employees, half of whom are college kids like myself, to be able to do a great setup. Some however can. If you decide to make buy another piece of gear from G.C. always ask them to check it, and if they don't know have them find an employee who can. They'll do it, no problem.

14. bass_fish

bass_fish

Oct 26, 2006
    the Netherlands
    you really can't blame this on GC....
    their policy is 30 days, it's not their fault a setup took over 2 weeks and you're late... you knew what you where getting yourself into, so you should have thought about it before hand...
    Fender probably won't make a big deal out of it, so this situation will be fixed regardless, but you can't blame it on GC...

15. and it's fair to GC to have to take back you 43 day old guitar, have the it repaired,, and then sell it most likely at a severe discount because it is used (43 days old and refurbished)..
    working at a retail store (not music related),, i find this attitude offensive,,, GC has a policy and they honored it.. Fender has their policy, and although willing to honor it decides it's best to pass the buck, discrediting their dealer in the process.

Bottom line is,, FENDER made a crappy bass,, FENDER is responsible to take care of it,, FENDER, if so concerned about a 43 day old refurb, should have INSTANTLY replaced the entire bass,,it's THEIR problem, not yours or GC's,, THEY screwed up,, and are obviously unwilling to go to the lengths of customer service that they expect their dealer to do..

If it was me,, it would most certainly be the last fender I ever purchased, anywhere,, and I would most certainly tell everyone about it, (the internet is a wonderful thing),,

of course,, you'll find that I don't play fenders,,,

obviously for good reason ;)

16. Thread title says it all.

17. Lesfunk

Lesfunk Bootlegger guitars : S.I.T. Strings Supporting Member

Apr 5, 2007
    Florida USA
    guitar center is a huge company. they need to make their customer happy. period.
    nitpicking a customer to death over a defective bass shows remarkable shortsightedness
    they should have given you store credit towards anything you want in the store.

18. bass_fish

bass_fish

Oct 26, 2006
    the Netherlands
    Who says the truss-rod never worked? maybe the guy doing the setup just messed it up and now blaming Fender... Fender didn't say he HAS to pay but that MIGHT have to pay ;) there is a subtle difference... they probably first want to see what happened to the bass...

which is fair I think, if the guy doing the setup messed up, why would Fender have to pay? the guy doing the setup should have to pay...

and if the bass was this way from the beginning, Fender won't charge him anything!

19. Lalabadie

Lalabadie Guest

Jan 11, 2007
    Or maybe he just knew about Fender's policy. He picked up the bass, made the request to the warranty center and got a non-defective bass back. So that the next time Jazz Hands needs to do something he can do by himself, he'll still consider going to GC instead ;)

20. Dbassmon

Dbassmon

Oct 2, 2004
    Rutherford, NJ
    One of the best luthiers in NYC, Bill Merchant, requires your to make an appointment, and sets up you instrument while you wait. That makes it possible for you check it out, make any adjustments to taste and be on your way.

In cities like Nashville, NYC, LA, or any other city where you have working professional musicians, you will not find any of "the cats" going a luthier that is going to hold your axe for 2 weeks to set string height and intonate.

Time is money. Working professional musicians have gigs, recordings, tours and rehearsals. I can see waiting a week for a complete fret job. Part of being a good repair man is keeping your clients working, not making them wait while gigs and money pass them by.

Here is a link with complete instructions on how set up your own bass. This is not rocket science and is tremendously helpful to know this stuff. Your bass will always be playing it's best if you keep it well set up and it' s not hard to learn
    http://www.tunemybass.com/bass_setup/

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 19, 2021