Guitar Center B.S.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jazz Hands, Dec 29, 2007.

1. Jazz Hands

Jazz Hands

Dec 16, 2007
    Since GC had me running all over the city & in/out other shops I actually think I found a store that seemed more knowledgeable & friendly w/ a great selection of equipment. Next time I need to make a purchase I know where I'm going 1st....... I'm probably worth between $1-4k of spend/year.

- This is why you make the customer happy.

2. Lesfunk

Lesfunk Bootlegger guitars : S.I.T. Strings Supporting Member

Apr 5, 2007
    Florida USA
    F'n Right.

3. bass_fish

bass_fish

Oct 26, 2006
    the Netherlands
    maybe the customer should know his rights and read a little better? they gave you 30 days, you're to late, please do explain how that's GC fault?

4. Lesfunk

Lesfunk Bootlegger guitars : S.I.T. Strings Supporting Member

Apr 5, 2007
    Florida USA
    ah.. a company man!

5. Sound Chaser

Sound Chaser

Mar 19, 2005
    Lockport, NY
    /thread

6. BellBottomBlues

BellBottomBlues

Feb 21, 2007
    New York
    Endorser:Fender User:Rotosound, LaBella, Ashdown, Lindy Fralin
    I just think Jazz Hands screwed up and has decided to blame guitar center for his own stupidity.

Whenever you buy a bass from anywhere, regardless of the return policy, you tell them to check it out, make sure the truss rod works, etc. Most of the time you can bully GC into giving you a free set up (its not always a great setup, but its free so what do you want?)

Its hard to make your customers happy when they can barely read. Guitar Center has no obligation to fix anything because the buyer/seller contract, as you put it, was null and void after 30 days.

Just because a shop has a two week backlog to do a set up doesn't mean they are good. Most shops say its a week for a set up, but usually ask if you need it done sooner than that, and will be happy to oblige a set up done in a day or two if you really need it at no charge.

Now I don't like Guitar Center very much, I'm against them on general principal, but you're in the wrong. You want them to give you special privledges because you screwed up?

Grow up.

7. Vic Winters

Vic Winters Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Western NY
    GC didn't have you running anywhere. Fender who made a lemon made you run everywhere. GC just sells what they are given from Fender and gives you 30 days to play with it, and return it if it's not to your satisfaction.

And a 2 week wait doesn't make a repair shop good. I took my Crown power amp to a local shop to get fixed. I didn't get it back for a whole month, 30 days. And when I got it back, one channel was still busted. Took it back the next day and they had it fixed it the right way.

8. Wow, guess what happened to me? I decided that I was busy and took my Fender Custom Shop 64 Jazz to the Fender dealer to do a setup. I got a call and was told my neck was bad.This was over a month ago. I call and they say their waiting for Fender to say send it back. I got sick of calling these guys so I'm giving them a little more time (two month mark) then calling my very good lawyer. I was told that Fenders customer service was rotten but this takes it.I'm looking into another bass.( Sadowski or Roscoe )

9. mikedubbs

mikedubbs

Nov 20, 2007
    I work on the weekends in a guitar repair shop so I'm going to guess that this is a Mexican Jazz. We've seen more than a handful straight from the factory (usually GC sold) w/ bad necks. To get a new neck from Fender & repair time - - you're looking at minimum 2 months. This is why you yank the distributor back into the mix. From multiple experiences GC could make 1 phone call & get everything squared away & swap this bass out, but you really have to push because it's easier for them to reference the 30 day policy & have you do the leg work. Push them hard - make them work for their profit on your broken bass. . . Good Luck.

10. Bolt91

Bolt91

Jul 29, 2007
    I don't go to Guitar Center anymore. They sold me a broken amp, and gave me a lot of the same stuff they're giving you. I use Sam Ash now for setups and the such. They have good, honest, hard-working people there!

11. gfried84

gfried84 Commercial User

May 7, 2005
    Owner Fried Guitars Inc.
    I have also seen many malfunctioning truss rods on mexican made instruments. While the majority seemed to be defective some were clearly stripped by the customer or the repair shop they frequented before. Having a short turn around time is no indication of quality of work. A properly functioning guitar or bass takes a capable luthier or technician at most 2 hours. I run a small shop in brooklyn and can usually turn setups around in a day or two. I do this by managing my time properly so while glue is drying on other work I do the setups. Two weeks is absurd amount of time to wait for a setup unless it is an acoustic guitar that is in need of humidification.

Gary

12. jwsamuel

jwsamuel

Apr 26, 2004
    And I still say that if a repair shop is so not busy that it can turn around a setup in a day or two, there's a reason the shop is not busy.

Jim

13. Snakeman1066

Snakeman1066 Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2007
    Central Valley
    This thread is exactly the reason that i use my local Mom and Pop music store whenever possible.....

Example:

Recently I was looking at a bass that i wanted...GC and Musicians Fried were selling them for $499.99, I walk into my Local Mom and Pop and they have the same Bass hanging on the wall for $559.99 so i go and find the owner (Bill) and I say hey Bill listen i really want this bass but (insert big name chain store here) has this Bass for 499.99 and i really would rather buy it from you to keep my money local but 60.00 bucks is 60.00 bucks (never mind its going to cost me a 40.00 dollar tank of gas to drive to big name chain store) not to mention people have been playing with this one (see the greasy finger prints) maybe if you threw in a set up, some strings, a few picks, maybe a cheap gig bag or a stand etc. and I'll buy it from you and he says no problem...I get first rate customer service, one on one attention and the guy setting my bass up actually plays a bass not to mention i get to play it after the adjusment and decide if thats the way i want it or not, while i'm standing there in the shop....guess where i'm going back to for all my future purchases? not to mention when i walk in the door they know my name, what i play, and what brand of strings i use etc....

(actually i just bought a new drum kit which he price matched from an on-line add and he threw in a free tune and a few pairs of sticks)

try getting that from a Guitar center or any other big name chain store....Phhht :spit:

i think GC should swap the bass for another one and let Fender deal with them not you the customer (This is what i would do if it were my store or I was the manager of said store)

hope you get it worked out

14. bass_fish

bass_fish

Oct 26, 2006
    the Netherlands
    +1 that's what I do here, my local store is usually 50€ more expensive, but on the plus side, you all ways get a gigbag, a setup when you buy it and one after 3 months and a year ago I bought a new cabinet, 2 weeks later my old amp dies, so I'm back in buying a new amp and I got a flightcase free of charge because she felt bad for me...

15. BellBottomBlues

BellBottomBlues

Feb 21, 2007
    New York
    Thats funny. I had a Fender 50s Classic for about 6 months and the truss started to pull up the fretboard. The neck was shot. So I sent an email to Fender, they told me to take it to my local service center, to evaluate the damage. Less than a month later I got a new neck from Fender installed on the bass and its back into my hands. I probably would've gotten it back sooner, but I think my local SC is a bit on the slow side of things.

Wonder why you waited two months?:eyebrow:

16. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    Just as point of interest, this situation would be rather different had you bought the bass in the UK, although still very awkward.

Over here, consumer law makes this the responsibility of the supplier (GC), and you have the right to insist that any goods sold to you must be of "merchantable quality". This can be a vague phrase in some circumstances, but selling a bass which had a defective truss rod at the time of sale would definitely be covered by this - although you would have to be able to show satisfactorily that the truss rod wasn't working when you acquired the bass, and this could be difficult in your case as it's been in the hands of another shop since then.

UK law makes it clear that any manufacturers warranty is an additional benefit and does not affect your statutory right to insist that the supplier makes things right for you if they have sold you something defective. A 30 day policy like the one described here would be against the law if I've understood it correctly.

17. rok51

rok51

Sep 2, 2002
    Crawfordville, FL
    I do the 'mom-and-pop' thing here, as well. Rarely do I pay more than the 'big box' store/mailorder. Often, I pay less.

On the Fender neck thing, I have to praise them for my experience back in 1985. I had purchased a 1970 Precision, used, in 1973. It had the factory "thin" (Jazz) neck with a rosewood fingerboard. Over the years, tweaks were made in the truss rod to accommodate different strings, weather, etc. One day I was adjusting the truss rod barrel and it wouldn't budge-either way. Ultimately, I removed the neck and "used a bigger hammer" to loosen the truss rod, so I could see what was happening. Well, the entire truss rod came out with the barrel still firmly attached. I eventually got the barrel off and discovered that the threads had been cut...and then the barrel was chrome plated. What happened was that over time, the plating had flaked off and jammed the threads.
    I thought that I was just about ready to buy another neck. On a lark, I called Fender. I explained that I had purchased the bass, used, over 12 years earlier and in no way expected any relief from them...I just wanted to explain what I had found. The rep told me that he had heard of this occurring over the years and asked me what kind of neck I wanted. He sent me several to try-at no charge. I kept the one that fit me best and sent the others back.
    I was immensely impressed with their customer service as a result.

Kim

18. BellBottomBlues

BellBottomBlues

Feb 21, 2007
    New York
    I don't like how people complain about Fender QC but don't actually go into direct contact with Fender itself. 99% they're more than happy to fix your problem for you at little or no cost to you and often in a very timely fashion.

I had an accident where I pretty much destroyed the Fender decal, so I emailed Fender to ask about a replacement. They told me to go to the Service Center to verify that it was a Fender bass. 3 days later I got a new head stock decal free of charge.

19. honeyboy

honeyboy

Oct 31, 2004
    Since my retirement from teaching, I took on a part time job at a"mom and pop" music store here in Phoenix . His prices on Fender, Behringer , Ibanez, etc. is actually better than Guitar Center or Sam Ash. He has been forced to beat their prices since those two stores have really negatively impacted his sales. The advantage Guitar Center has over him is, besides a big name and lots of advertising money, is their 30 day return policy. My store only has in store credit available, no money back like G.C.Whenever I bought things at Guitar Center, I made darn sure I liked it well within the 30 days return period. I have actually returned the majority of things I bought there and am glad they had that policy. I just bought a new American Deluxe 5 string jazz through my store (for their cost) and am going to get the official Fender repair guy who we work with to check out the neck and electronics, well within the warranty period, but I want to check it as soon as possible. If there is a problem, my store can't help me. All my transactions will have to be with Fender(gulp!) and their licenced repair facility. I knew all this going into the purchase.I would have to agree with the others who say it really is no longer Guitar Center's resposibility and they are not really in the wrong. Sorry.:meh:

20. Rickett Customs

Rickett Customs

Jul 30, 2007
    Southern Maryland
    Luthier: Rickett Customs...........www.rickettcustomguitars.com
    Out of all the posts in this thread, one thing needs to be stated:

First of all, there's no need to smear GC, I don't think any laws were broke. Anyone that has dealt with GC has their own quirks with them, we all do.

Secondly, the op also stated later in his own thread (#15) that in fact GC did eventually take care of the situation, maybe not at first (Disappointing, perhaps.)

Finally, I'm sure theres a "silent code", you won't find in the "TB Manual", within the bass playing (or Musician) community, that knows the difference between "Ma and Pop's" and "Big box stores", so is there really a good reason to get "bent" about it?
    It's easy to make yourself a victim, if you are not careful.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 26, 2021