Guitar Center B.S.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jazz Hands, Dec 29, 2007.

1. Lesfunk

Lesfunk Bootlegger guitars : S.I.T. Strings Supporting Member

Apr 5, 2007
    Florida USA
    I own a small retail ( see Mom and pop) hobby store where I sell R/C airplanes.
    If I don't make the customer happy, It's MY ASS!
    I cannot afford to take the corporate " Screw you, I already have your money" attitude.
    I can get away with it once, but word spreads quick in small circles. My reputation and sales will suffer.
    It's easy for a big company to stand by the hard and fast "company policy" but a little humanity goes a long way.

2. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    This is one of the things I love about Musicman. If you have a problem you can take it straight to the top, and get a response immediately. Feels like a mom and pop company to me.

And for all those who support the mom and pop thing - IMO you should pay to them what you pay at guitar center or sam ash and not want a bunch of free stuff from them. If you're so FOR them and want to support them - then support them. They're taking a huge hit from the corporations as it is, and then they have to get haggled into giving stuff away like crazy just so they can put a meal on their dinner table. :/

This thread urks me a bit as I feel like others that the OP is placing blame on GC when the blame belongs on himself, or Fender. If I bought a bass and then had to go through all that and wait months to get a neck fixed, I would be pissed at myself for buying it, and Fender for putting it out like that.

3. bostonasphalt2

bostonasphalt2 Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2007
    Field of man, MA
    He wouldve found that out if he had acted on getting a setup in a more urgent manner. 30 days is PLENTY of time for someone to get a setup and find out of any possible issues. The 30 days helps make sure people dont buy stuff and abuse them royally then return them. They hsouldnt take it back, that is why Fender has a warranty on it.

4. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    I was wondering why stores always seem to get defensive about returns. I doubt the clerks enjoyed this guy raising hell for an hour until the manager stepped out and approved the exchange just to get rid of him. Likely he also chewed them out for not being more assertive and not taking control of the conversation. No I'm not a store clerk.

5. tadawson

tadawson

Aug 24, 2005
    Lewisville, TX
    There is always the question of whether the guy went gorilla fist on the bass and broke it, or if it's really a defect . . . Myself, I have rarely gotten a new instrument that I didn't need to tweak the truss on the day I get it home, so I feel that this is the fault of the buyer for not bothering to check things over adequately when he bought the instrument. Even if you can't do your own setups, you can still see if the truss has tension and can be adjusted - it's about as no brainer as a bag of rocks!!! Tighten 1/2 turn, see if relief changes, put it back . . . . so difficult!!!! NOT!!!!

- Tim

6. bass_fish

bass_fish

Oct 26, 2006
    the Netherlands
    maybe because when something is broken: the customer did it and now wants a new product.
    (I'm not saying this is the case here, but I work in/with computers and in a local grocery store so I know a thing or 2 about customers)
    if something really is defective(factory defect for example or a DOA) stores won't give you a hard time.... if you come back a month after the purchase saying "yeah I don't know but suddenly my truss-rod is broken" yeah they will give you a hard time, they will want to know what happened...

also: if you come in acting like a jerk, you'll be treated the same way, if you come in "hey man look I've got a problem here, could you help me out" and you stay calm and friendly, no one is gonna give you a hard time... in fact: they'll help you out as much as they can...

7. mikedubbs

mikedubbs

Nov 20, 2007
    This issue is really nothing that GC can't deal with...it's more of a matter of if they're "willing to". If they value your business they take care of it - - I know for a fact that all it'd take is 1 phone call from GC to Fender to resolve. You start playing the return policy card it kinda says we don't value your business.

Also the best luthier around here is in such demand 2wks for a complete s/u isn't unheard of. You want the best & go where the national acts are dropping off their equipment you just have to wait.

8. Sahm

Sahm

Dec 18, 2007
    Delaware, OH
    Well, the clerks are the first line of defense. They are told the policy, and pretty much that's all they can enforce. If a customer is persistent, then the managers come in. My understanding of the lawnmower situation was that a return like that ultimately came out of the manager's bonus, so it was up to him if he wanted to make it happen. That's why I never take no for an answer unless I hear it from the highest person I can reach in a company!

9. BellBottomBlues

BellBottomBlues

Feb 21, 2007
    New York
    Endorser:Fender User:Rotosound, LaBella, Ashdown, Lindy Fralin
    Mandolin takes < 1 week in most cases and are considered one of the big three vintage guys in the US. Its always done in a week at most, but you'll usually have it back in a few days. Their repair shop is in such demand that they have a wait period before you can even bring in your guitar. Thats where the pro's bring their babies to get fixed and the turn around is still less than a week.

10. T-MOST

T-MOST

Dec 10, 2004
    NJ via NYC
    Around NYC a good repair shop would not be able to stay in business with a two week wait time for a set up. That may not be the case for some other areas of the country.

+1000

11. About Fender customer service, I called them about two years ago about a tension screw that kept popping out of an American Deluxe Jazz Tuner. He asked what tuners were, I told him they were on the headstock, he said that there was nothing he could do and hung up on me. I was very polite and courtious. That's Fender customer service and that is if you can find the phone number. Like an above poster said, Shame on me for buying such a product. Live and learn.

12. Hawaii Islander

Hawaii Islander Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2007
    Rio Rico, AZ
    Fender is very clear about going through Fender authorized dealer and Repair centers for services and parts. What's so hard about that? There are hundreds listed in phone books and online. Fender headquaters is an administrative group not suited for direct customer interactions. That's what their dealers are for.

If I need customer service on my Ford Mustang, I call the local Ford service center, not Ford headquarters.

13. While GC isn't legally obligated to do anything, it would seem that it's probably in their best interest to find a solution for that suits the customer and them. I have no idea what kind of hit they would take on something like this, or for that matter how many people come in trying to rip them off.

OP, did you purchase this on a credit card, some issuers will step in and take care of this for you.

I had a similar issue with Sam Ash. I purchased a mixer and on the receipt it said they were entitled to charge me a 15% restocking fee (maybe it was 10%, I forget). Anyway I returned it and they did indeed charge me this fee. I asked them to reconsider and they said there was nothing they could do. This was entirely my fault, but I thought based on my purchasing history (been shopping there almost 20 years) that they should made an exception. I emailed David Ash, and he replied back and took care of it for me.

My thought is that in no way did I think I was entitled to this, but the fact that they went the extra mile was/is definitely appreciated.

Adam

14. dman_113

dman_113 Beware the Jabberwock, my son!

Nov 4, 2007
    Charlotte,NC
    I'm a sales manager of a retail store(non-musical), and can tell you that if your dealing with a salesperson your most likely not going to get to far if your return is out of the return period. They just don't have the authority to say yes, or no for that matter. Your best bet is to ask to speak to the manager from the get go. If your a nice person and are respectful you should be treated the same way. Now just a couple of points.

1) Some store managers bonuses are tied to their stores sales and returns are considered loss in most companies so if this is the case with GC they are going to try to do as few returns as possible.

2) I deal with people on a weekly basis that are trying to screw the system ( I'm not implying the OP was trying to do that) and it makes you picky when it comes to returns.

3)The company I work for has a return policy that includes a 30 day limit but when someone comes in and they are nice and explain to me what the problem is I will work with them the best I can, a lot of times that means store credit. If they are a PITA then the policy is what it is.

15. lexluthier72

lexluthier72

Dec 28, 2007
    Keep in mind why the fender service center sent him back to GC...It is often the case that the issue will be resolved with a new bass from GC than to wait 2-4 weeks for a new neck, and then wait for the service center to swap it out. With this solution the customer gets a replacement right away. It has NOTHING to do with "passing the buck" When the swap is done, GC calls Fender and gets a "return authorization" from Fender and gets credited for the broken bass. Problem resolved.

16. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 22, 2021