Guitar Center blinked!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Woodchuck, Feb 15, 2002.

1. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Well here's the story: I went to get a new Super Redhead combo, so I traded in my old back up rig. It was a 2 year old Triad and an old Nemesis head. The rig was worth about $450 - $500 tops. Me and the manager haggled, to be honest, I just wanted to see how much lower they would go from the $1449 price. After about 15 minutes of haggling, he goes: "Look, here's the deal, your rig and $600 for the Redhead with a cover and casters. Take it or leave it."
    I couldn't believe it. He thought that he was driving a hard bargain. So I take it! :D As the guy is ringing it up, he keeps asking the manager, "Are you sure?" And my wife goes, "Look, we're in a hurry." I thought he was going to snap out of it, or the cashier was going to blow the deal. My wife saw that too, so she says that we have to pick up our 8 year old, so we needed to hurry. After we get in the car, she says, "You should stay out of there for a while. They may realize that they got beat on this deal."
  2. natebass

Sep 6, 2001
    Bremerton, WA
    trust me on this - gc didn't lose anything on the deal....i guaran-frickin-tee ya.
  3. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    I know, but they didn't get what they usually get on a Redhead either.
  4. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    Glad to hear (read) that you got a great deal! :cool: - at GC! :eek:

I would go back in a few days and see how much they're trying to get for your old rig. :rolleyes:
  5. Cantstandsya

Jul 27, 2001
    Fontana, CA
    Gutar Center sold me a Fender American Deluxe Jazz for $550. I thought that was a pretty good deal...........
  6. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    always nice to hear someone make good. Sure, GC may not have lost alot of money, but that guy definitely lost face. and yea, dont duck in there for a while.
  7. ThunderStik

ThunderStik Guest

Jun 25, 2001
    Claremore OK.
    I love to see them get jacked like that, especially by a fellow bass player. Good job
  8. Hugh Jazz

Hugh Jazz

Sep 13, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Congrats on the deal!

Out of curiousity, who was the guy?
  9. why worry about going back in there? what are they going to do... make you sell the redhead back to them??? ;)
  10. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    It was the short, nerdy looking guy. He's a nice guy and all, but amp hagglin' ain't his forte.:p
  11. progplayer

Nov 7, 2001
    Trust me on this one, GC NEVER loose money on deals. They know how to make more money off customers and make them think they got a deal. There use to be a geocities webpage with TONS of info about GC sales tactics with actual ex GC store managers postings. Its been taken down for obvious reasons but man...... they had so much info on there about their marketing department in Ca. Everything from selling one item at cost and they can make triple their money back for the store by selling another item near retail to someone that does not know better.

There was actually a chart that showed how to "size up" customers. Its pretty crazy. I think the CEO of GC use to be a car sales manager (just kidding but...)

But You probably got lucky with the deal because I've been screwed 3 times by them and my friends also.

By the way don't u love how they send out those private post cards and ads? "We're having a sale! You save $150!" yeah off MSRP....
  12. bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
    Ditto for the wife. Just think how much the Red Head will be worth when you take back in a few years for trade! You should be able to walk out with half the store for a couple hundred bucks. Nice to see your better half was astute enough to to get the assist. What a team.

Woodchuck, how did you come by that moniker? I am from Vermont and "Woodchuck" is what we call real, stereotypical Vermonters. Just curious.
  13. HERE is a little ditty on what GUITAR CENTER did to me..... I stumbled upon a warwick one day when i visited the local GC, it was the first time i've ever played one, i dont even know what drew me to it but i did, and quite honestly, it sold itself! The bass had 1699.00 on it, its one of the guitar center models, which the salesman said "ONLY ONE PER store".... anyhoo, i bring up my 2 cabs that im not using, a hartke 4x10 transport and a 2x15 XL, i also throw in my Ibanez 506 6 stringer cause im not a 6 string player. They end up making me pay 1000$ and my gear, two weeks later i get a flyer in the mail that the model bass i bought is on SALE for 1400$ & w/ purchase 10 packs of free strings. Come to find out also they are selling the bass for the same price as what i payed for it 5 years ago. I feel so raped! WATCH OUT guys, cover your butts if your hangin 10 in guitar center!~:mad:

Edit by hunter585 for language.
  14. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    i recently got a Eden 115XLT cabinet, new, from a local GC for $410.

not a steal, but definitely a fair price.

i took my zon lightwave with me to try it out.

the sales guy AND manager were blown away by the zon...the sales guy was just starting to learn bass and was asking me all sorts of questions.

they must have held me up for a half hour or so.

considering bass northwest sells 'em for $499, not including shipping, i was happy enough.

if you want to buy stuff on-line, check out

free shipping!!

and don't forget!!!!!!!

15. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Good lord! :eek: Raped indeed!

As for my deal, the one thing that I found wierd was they didn't plug the stuff in to see if any of my gear worked! They just took it. It does work, but still, you would think that they'd check stuff like that. Now I now how people get defected gear from GC sometimes.
  16. They did test my stuff, funny thing is, the bass had something wrong with the electronics, ever since i bought the thing, and i never had it fixed, it gives a loud static noise after its been played for about 5 minutes or so. It never did it at the store when he played it, so..... I lucked out. GC and stick that in thier pipe and smoke it . **** im bitter!

Edit by hunter585 for language.

17. As a former employee of GC, let's clear up some misconceptions. First, there is no sales chart on 'how to size up customers;" most of the guys in sales are too stupid to follow a chart, and corporate actually tries to avoid pressure sales tactics because they're so easy to see through.

I WAS in managment and did VERY well (#1 guy in the store) in sales at my local store, not because I ripped people off, but because I went WAY out of my way to help them.

That said, one of the reasons I left was that my store manager told me that I was not being an effective salesman because I spent too much time on customer service. He told me that GC doesn't want repeat business; they want to sell Squiers to young kids because the profits margins on the cheaper stuff are so much higher. Never mind I built an extremely loyal and profitable customer base, I wasn't doing it the "company way."

The members of the Board of Directors are quite literally investment bankers who bought the company as a moneymaking opportunity. (GC corporate also owns Musician's Friend, for those who didn't know) There's nothing wrong with that, but too often, the guys in charge have NO idea what players actually want or need. The company is publicly traded as a tech stock, and as such, is extremely profit-motivated. Many times, I saw tons of useless product dumped on the stores simply because a buyer had scored a "good" deal from a manufacturer for a product that wouldn't sell otherwise. The Behringer multiband compressor is a good example.

As far as used gear is concerned, it's up to the discretion of the indivdual sales person and subject to store manger approval. I saw people get raped, and I saw people rape the store where I worked. It all depended on if they got some stupid pothead or some slick salesman. I ALWAYS tried my very best to give fair credit on trades, so much so that my manager criticized me for doing it.

The store employees on, the other hand, often sold their personal stuff to the store at inflated prices; that's why there is actually used gear priced higher than it's NEW counterpart!

The bulk of mine and any other successful salesperson's sales was directly proportional to the amount of product knowledge. Yes, there most certainly ARE sales guys who WILL lie to you to make a sale, but they are rarely the successful ones. The best ones were the ones who could simply answer questions. I developed more business by discouraging people from buying stuff they didn't need and showing them what WOULD work for what they wanted. 90% of the time, my suggestions SAVED them money, and as such, I was VERY popular.

I'm sorry for anyone who has had a bad experience at GC. Most of the time, what you're encountering is NOT company policy, but rather greed on the individual salesperson's or manager's part.

I left after 14 months because of a personal conflict between the store manager and myself. He is the singular MOST dishonest person I have ever encountered in my LIFE! The things he did were not on corporate orders, but I do NOT trust any company that would employ someone like that. Even though they did not tell him to do them, they most certainly were AWARE of them.

For anyone who's considering buying gear, I encourage you to support your local music store. They NEED your business much more than GC and they will give much better attention. Sure, you may pay a little more, but that money will buy you customer support that a big chain like GC evidently does not want to give.

(Ed. note- I intially wrote this post in a hurry and have since tried to correct numerous misspellings and grammatical errors in order to make it more readable. I haven't changed anything else.)
  18. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
  19. Jeff Haley

Jeff Haley

May 17, 2001
    Atlanta, Ga.
    I've had good luck with Guitar Center but I always research before I buy. They will match or beat a price quote from another store. A bad deal usually occurs when you buy without taking the time to shop prices. Remember they are in business to make money . As far as used gear goes try to sell yourself .
  20. i have had great help from gc and some bad help.frist the good i got a boss dd-5 delay and it broke on me .when i went in to the store and gave it to the guy at the counter he asked me if i wanted my money back or a new one. i told him i wanted new one ,when i told him this he then asked if i would want this used one that was all most not used.there was nothing wroung with it or any i went with him on getting the used one.i got like 50 bucks back and if i went with getting a new one i would have to wait a month because of back order.they guy saved me 50 bucks and gave me a free set of strings.ood thing is every time i go to the tore the same guy deals with me.

the only bad thing about the store .is one day i was trying out a gt-7 with some amp and there was a guiatre player next to me testing out amp and he was playing sabbth songs and stuff. so when he wasnt playing any thing i started nib (it was so hard on a 7 string)and he joined in and was shocked cause i was 15 at the time and he was like 30 some thing and i played the song in time with any ways we played the hole song and one of the guys at the store comes up to me and asks me to stop playing. i asked why i not done trying out the bass and he said i was to loud.when there wasanother bass player playing louder then me.