Guitar Center Closed Again.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by jdh3000, Jul 30, 2020.

1. jdh3000

jdh3000

May 16, 2016
    I just went by GC and they are closed again. This is the 3rd time since this all started.

They are 60 miles from my home, fortunately today as usual I was had other business here in town.

I don't know why they keep getting shut down. I went there a few weeks back and they seemed very compliant, letting only ao many people in, wiping down whatever instrument that someone wanted to try, employees wearing masks. We just recently got a statewide mandate that masks are required in public(we're pretty way behind everyone else).

The sign said temporarily closed... I hope that's onlh the case. They may not be the most stellar place to shop, but overall pretty good, ans it's slim pickings here for music stores.

I know it's tough in businesses. enforcing mamdates and potentially losing customers.
    They always had a line of people out front.

Has anyone been seeing this in where you are?

2. It could be anything. All it takes is for one infected customer or employee to touch a few things.

groooooove, vegas532 and jdh3000 like this.
  3. SubHuman

SubHuman

Dec 29, 2005
    Good Old USA
    I don't even get out that much. The closest GC near me is 30 miles away. Their website says they're open so must not be all of them.

Great times on planet earth...not!

mb94952 and TolerancEJ like this.
  4. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism

Oh... this isn't about them going bankrupt. That is unfortunate. I hope the store and the staff are okay. I imagine it has to be a real pain to fully disinfect a store full of guitars.

I haven't been by my local L&M for months so they are probably open again. I dropped a bass off for service in April. I had to meet an employee in the parking lot, let the bass sit there for a week before getting serviced, and use contactless payment. It was different, for sure, but they were still in business.

GregC, TolerancEJ and jdh3000 like this.
  5. jdh3000

jdh3000

May 16, 2016
    I hope they are ok as well. That is possibly what happened.

I felt bad for all they were havinv to do when I was there, just like I feel for everyone having to work all these other places wearing a mask all day.

I wouldn't go there just to hang out and try out stuff with no intent to buy in these times. They have enough to deal with.

I figured the first time I saw them closed is that they were not in compliance or something and were reported. That happened to some of the clubs around here.

DiabolusInMusic likes this.
  6. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

It's a 90 minute drive for me & that's at full-speed w/o any bathroom breaks!
    If I went there, it would only be if they had something I really wanted, but that is unlikely as I have everything I need.
    One bonus for me is that Sam Ash is right next door. I can view either of their pre-owned inventories online & save myself the drive just out of curiosity.

For a while there I thought my only excuse for not selling all my Music gear was because they're closed, LOL!
    Selling that kind of stuff in my area basically means taking rock-bottom prices, because everyone is skint.
    Oh wait, it was like that BEFORE Covid!

Blueinred, Spidey2112 and jdh3000 like this.
  7. Michedelic

Michedelic MId-Century Modern

Where is the store located?

8. jdh3000

jdh3000

May 16, 2016
    It's in Little Rock, AR.

9. jdh3000

jdh3000

May 16, 2016
    Yea I wish we had a Sam Ash near here, nearest one is Dallas, about a 6 hour drive... I was looking forward to going down there on vacation before this all happened.

About the only time I hit GC is when I'm in that city. If I just really needed something and needed it sooner than Sweetwater could ship it to me, I'd probably make trip.
    I'd order from them online but I never know how soon I'll get it. SW always gets my stuff to me in a couple of days.

JTE and Killed_by_Death like this.
  10. filmtex

filmtex Commercial User

May 29, 2011
    Annsman Pro Audio Dealer
    I placed an online order a couple weeks ago and had a salesperson actually call me to make sure it went well. Ala Sweetwater. So I guess I "have a guy" at GC now. Andrew @317-352-5825. Unfortunately I ordered a couple A/T mics the other day and completely forgot about him, guess I'll have to call and apologize now. Not sure how their commission woks, if at all, but it's kind of nice to have a real person to talk to if I need any assistance with GC. YMMV

jdh3000 likes this.
  11. Altitude

Altitude An ounce of perception, a pound of obscure. Supporting Member

Mar 9, 2005
    Denver, nee Austin
    This. My daughter works at a Starbucks this summer. She's had three shifts cancelled in the last month when the store had to close unexpectedly to do a deep-clean after an employee had a COVID scare. It can happen at any moment.

jdh3000 and TolerancEJ like this.
  12. Bass Thunder

Bass Thunder Supporting Member

I took my son to one of the local GC's on Wednesday and was shocked at the depleted inventory - both new and used. We had been there just a few weeks ago and the difference was sad. One-third of the wall hangers completely empty - maybe 6 bass cabs spread out along the wall instead of stacked on top each other.
    I think it's safe to say they are not bringing in much, if any new inventory to the floor.
    Not good for anybody...

jdh3000 likes this.
  13. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Inventory is difficult to come by. If you look at any online store you'll see 'More on Order' on far more products than in the past. People stuck at home are revamping their setups and stores are having a hard time restocking. Same thing with home improvement anything. A guy I know was talking to his local smaller lumber yard who said they usually do around a million / year and they were at a million seven so far this year. Pressure treated lumber is like unobtanium.

14. vegas532

vegas532

Nov 10, 2006
    Pensacola, FL.
    If your local GC closes, blame your local anti-masker. With all of the "handling" in store, the mask policy is there for a reason. All it takes is one customer or sick employee shut the whole store down, in accordance to the current corporate policy. We aren't doing this stuff out of sheer boredom, folks.

mikewalker, SLIV and Allegrus like this.
  15. HearNoStevil

HearNoStevil Inactive

Jul 17, 2020
    I've had an item on backorder from Musician's Friend since December. It was due in February, but the 'Rona changed that. It's going on 9 months.

I actually did receive the item in December, but it was damaged so they picked it up on a call tag. They sent out a replacement when they received the damaged item-they returned to me the exact same damaged item!!! It was a hassle getting them to understand that they reshipped me the same damaged item, and getting them to sell another for the same holiday sale price was like pulling teeth. Things like that used to be easy with MF. Not anymore.

Then, the order was canceled with no warning back in March, and they refunded my money to an in-store credit that they didn't even notify me about. I found out about it a month later when I was checking on my order and couldn't find it listed anywhere; it just went "poof" and completely vanished from history. No one could tell me why that happened.

I had initially used Rakuten/Ebates for an $11 rebate (and had triple backstage plus points since it was around Christmas), and when they canceled my order Rakuten took back the $11. And, I lost my triple backstage points. Bunch of crap.

But, when MF finally reordered the item for me for a third time, they reduced the price by $11 and put a note in for the triple backstage plus points so it all turned out even. But, it's been a big hassle. Now, I just wonder if it will ever arrive. At least the order itself still exists and they have emailed me just once this year (fairly recently) to let me know the item is still on backorder.

mikewalker likes this.
  16. Tosh

Tosh

Jul 12, 2020
    Salem, Oregon
    since a lot of the stuff we buy is coming from China, and we still have a trade war going on, inventories are down almost across the board.

MD-BassPlayer is right. We were set to start building our new home at the beginning of this year. Then all hell broke loose, & supply chains started to break. We're still trying to find a way to do it, but...

Fortunately, my local music stores are open for business, and GC is having a used-gear buy-in tomorrow.

I bought a used Roland GI-20 from GC online and it should be here today. They're still in business!

17. TheReceder

TheReceder

Jul 12, 2010
    Mn.
    Off topic...Just curious... I've dealt with sweetwater mail order quite a bit and they've been pretty good, are they reasonable to deal with in person? Decent looking professional stores that are worth a visit?

18. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Does Sweetwater have any stores? I think they had a pro showroom or something at their headquarters, but my understanding was that it's shutdown for the COVID season. (Let me see if I can find hard fact on that.)

EDIT: their store appears to be open: Sweetwater Music Store | Sweetwater.com

19. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

better "closed temporarily" than :dead: !

jdh3000 and SubHuman like this.
  20. MasterG

MasterG

Dec 21, 2018
    My GC in Fairlawn,OH is having a bring in your used gear sale from 9am to noon tommorow. Cash on the barrelhead up to $500 and a Visa card for anything above that. Times must be getting real tough to get any kind of inventory in the store. Pawn shops around here are empty to.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 14, 2021