Guitar Center Closed Again.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by jdh3000, Jul 30, 2020.

1. Tosh

Tosh

Jul 12, 2020
    Salem, Oregon
  2. Tosh

Tosh

Jul 12, 2020
    Salem, Oregon
    We're in a sellers' market now. However, that's probably going to turn around 180 degrees soon, as our GuvMnt has so wisely decided to put a halt to financial aid for it's dead-beat citizens (I am being completely sarcastic here, folks....)

3. HearNoStevil

HearNoStevil Inactive

Jul 17, 2020
    I emailed a GC store about an amp I found listed online. No response after a few emails.

4. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Gold Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Probably not the best thing to be sarcastic about right now. Some people aren't in a great place financially.

GregC, xnewyorka and Tosh like this.
  5. strange that they would be closed...

no idea if ours are open.

seems like if they've all got masks theres no reason not to be open?

6. RichSnyder

Jun 19, 2003
    One possibility is if a team member tested positive. Depending on local and state guidelines, may have had to shut down for two weeks.

groooooove likes this.
  7. Chubby Fingers

Chubby Fingers

Jun 23, 2020
    So far that stimulus money has bought a Marsxhall Origin 50 combo, a MIM Telecaster and a heavily modified Yamaha bass. Im doing MY part to keep GC in business, what are all of you lot doing?

mikewalker likes this.
  8. Tosh

Tosh

Jul 12, 2020
    Salem, Oregon
    my new (used) stuff from GC should arrive today!

My local music shops have been getting plenty of business from me, Fer Shure

Keep on Rockin in a Free World

9. GIBrat51

GIBrat51 Innocent as the day is long Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2013
    South Bend, Indiana
    Yeah, they do. I've been there. It's more their corporate headquarters than just a store, though. It's... huge. Lots of 2nd floor offices; a large outdoor concert arena; at least one inside concert stage; a couple of recording studios; a restaurant or two; and, yes, a really big store. Completely devoid of any lefty basses, of course...:rolleyes: But, they did have 3 lefty guitars. Oh, and guitar straps; lots of guitar straps...:whistle:

mikewalker likes this.
  10. jdh3000

jdh3000

May 16, 2016
    It's like someone mentioned, all it takes is one employee testing positive and they'll shut down.

Some nightclubs opened and started having music again here. We were book to play a couple that got shut down right before we got to play.
    They were very compliant, we had to be separated several feet from each other and the audience had a police tape 12 feet from the stage. Tables were all apart, but one employee testing positive in each place shut them down

groooooove likes this.
  11. SLIV

SLIV

Jul 16, 2009
    North Carolina, USA
    But do they have lefty guitar straps?

mikewalker likes this.
  12. HearNoStevil

HearNoStevil Inactive

Jul 17, 2020
    Actually, that's interesting.

The classic "Fender" guitar strap's script logo is always upside down on righty players. But on lefty players, the logo is finally right side up!

mikewalker likes this.
  13. SLIV

SLIV

Jul 16, 2009
    North Carolina, USA
    I had no idea! Fascinating. The first two bands I played in the guitarists were lefty and reading chords they were playing was a challenge and a half. Their world all the time.

Righty bias is real. I’m sorry : (

mikewalker likes this.
  14. GIBrat51

GIBrat51 Innocent as the day is long Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2013
    South Bend, Indiana
    Let's just say I bought 3 really nice ones that are "hand" neutral...:whistle:

15. Tosh

Tosh

Jul 12, 2020
    Salem, Oregon
    Oh, Man - just saw this:
    Salem, OR Music Store | Guitar Center Salem-Keizer
    "Guitar Center Salem-Keizer is Temporarily Closed"

Today was supposed to be the day they were buying used-gear.

I can't post here exactly how angry I feel about this. I'm going to work out my frustration at the piano right now.

16. Zoffy

Zoffy

Jun 7, 2020
    Sacramento CA
    Interesting, I got a phone message the other day from some guy at Guitar Center saying that he was now my "Sales Rep." He sounded bored and completely indifferent and I'll just do what I do with Sweetwater - ignore the phone calls.

Honestly, I've had it with Guitar Center. My local branches can't even be bothered to put new foam on the guitar / bass hangers so many of the necks are chewed up at the base of the head from hanging on bare metal. C'mon dudes, it's foam. I've got a garage full of pool noodles and I'd do it for you , if I were even allowed in the store as they seem to only let one person in per section. I was literally yelled at for walking from the keyboard section to the basses because there was already a person in the bass section the other day. I get being cautious, but I'm an ER nurse and interact with Corona virus patients literally every day I go to work...you can safely put two masked people within a 20 foot radius of each other. I don't see people lying dead in the isles at Target or the local grocery stores.

GC seems to be doing a 'Sears'. They seem to be allowing themselves to deteriorate. I'm no financial expert, but there is probably a fiscal reason for this. Sad...

mikewalker likes this.
  17. Guitar Center has been on a financial downward slide for over 15 years now. COVID is just one of the last nails in the coffin. Most of the products they sell are made in China or overseas in some Asian country. Ah you get the drift! Their stores are barren of product. Just go into one and look around. I was in the Nashua NH store last week. It was a sad sight. Online sales are killing them i.e. Amazon, Sweetwater, Ebay, Reverb etc... In my area in New England they are limited to how many people they can let into the store at a time. And honestly I would not want to touch any of the basses there on display for COVID reasons. They are suppose to clean them but I am sure that does not happen as per the BOH rules. Plus the music industry is just about at a stand still because of the lack of gigs and clubs that allowed to open. So musicians not playing out don't need gear. Thus not a lot of income. I don't see this situation turning itself around at least until the end of this year. We have all been saying it and thinking it. But this might be the death march of G.C. And honestly I started supporting my local music store. They may not have what I want in stock but they can get it. Stay safe all. We will get through this.

mikewalker likes this.
  18. RichSnyder

Jun 19, 2003
    Music instrument sales are rocking right now. Everyone, including Sweetwater is having supply issues.

19. Tosh

Tosh

Jul 12, 2020
    Salem, Oregon
    MD-BassPlayer likes this.
  20. RichSnyder

Jun 19, 2003
    Went to one of the local GC's this weekend and their inventory is definitely waning. MIDI controllers were all gone, recording interfaces - gone, a lot of strings - sold out.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 2, 2021