1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Guitar Center Declared Value

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 'JC', Apr 27, 2010.

1. 'JC'

'JC'

Mar 14, 2000
    So my local GC now does repair work.
    Normally I'd be cautious about this, but when I found out which GC employee does it, I felt comfortable enough to take my basses in.

Q: "Why not do it yourself?"
    A: Don't have the time, or tools in some cases.

First up, my Warwick Streamer Pro has dirty pots and the soldering joints on the jack have broken. Take it in, sign a claim ticket and return later that afternoon. I notice the claim ticket has declared value of $600

...okay it isn't a rare Dolphin or Thumb but I never gave a declared value and if I did, I'd place it higher than that.

Later on my USA defretted J bass needs an action job. Take it and this time the claim check says declared value $200

Really?

A USA jazz bass for $200? Does defretting a J bass really kill the value that much? Who and how does GC come up with these values?

2. tycobb73

tycobb73

Jul 23, 2006
    Grand Rapids MI
    I'd say that's about right.

3. My local guitar center in Tacoma has it's own "shop" inside, called Parson's Guitars. Ron there does a great job, and when I've taken instruments in there he asks me for a declared value. Guess it just matters where you are.

4. Bardley

Bardley

Nov 16, 2007
    Louisville, KY
    That could be very generous considering what they give you on a gear trade in...:rollno: :smug:

5. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    Both sound about right and yeah, defretting does not help at all. You now have a fretless, which most people are afraid of so sales potential is very limited.

6. 'JC'

'JC'

Mar 14, 2000
    Had no idea the trade in values were so low ball then.
    Makes since now. I guess.

7. RNV

RNV

Apr 13, 2010
    Loxahatchee, Fl
    fEARful (I endorse them, not visa versa)
    That value is what they'll give you if they destroy it. You should've Oked the value before you left.

8. tycobb73

tycobb73

Jul 23, 2006
    Grand Rapids MI
    That's not trade in value.

9. AlbatrossAudio

AlbatrossAudio

Jul 28, 2009
    apparently me having a nordstrand pick up and aguilar pre diminishes the value of my stingray. nice huh?

10. Depends on the defret job. I've seen defret jobs that would have made a $200 value generous. I assume yours was not one of those....

11. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings

Unfortunately it does. Most people don't realize that about mods. You're typically better off putting it back to original condition and selling the mods separately.

Works the same with cars. If you only have a fraction of potential buyers interested in the mods, they're a hindrance to others.

12. Coop Soup

Coop Soup

Aug 24, 2005
    Minneapolis
  13. Once you mod an instrument, you immediately s-h-r-i-n-k your resale market down to only those few who, like you, see those mods as desirable.

14. TechJunky

TechJunky

Aug 31, 2009
    Columbus, OH
    Correct. The Streamer Pro M is a different model, with the curved/contoured body, twin J pickup, and active eq. Definitely worth more, easily $800-900 from what I've seen.

15. lowendblues

lowendblues Supporting Member

Oct 8, 2004
    Ohio
    I'd just as soon shoot myself in the foot as to take a bass to GC for repair. ( Im speaking of my area GC..)

I would at least ask them what they thought the "declared" value of my bass was before I left it.

16. That's why Carvin's have such lousy resale value, they custom built for the certain Individual.

17. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Bingo!

18. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    I know guys who've spent $20k+ in mods on their five year old $35k+ (new) cars who then have to settle for resale prices in the teens.

If you want the mods, it's great. Sucks for the seller though.

If you pay attention you learn this stuff... hopefully not the hard way.
    ;)

19. :p!